2001 CHEVY BLAZER BLOWER FAN ISSUE

• litagator
  • 2001 Chevrolet Blazer

2001 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 98561 miles

I have had a perpetual problem with the blower on this blazer. This is now the 4th time that I have progressively lost the blower control on this car. Initially the dealer tried to fix it by replacing the blower switch, but this failed in short order. The other 2 times, with two different repair shops, the problem has been determined to be the blower fan resistor. The last blower resistor replacement was about a year ago. It worked beautifully for about 3 months, I started to lose the lower settings, and then eventually it stopped working all together. It seems to me there must be a bigger cause for this same issue to continue to recur. I'm looking for help and suggestion on what may be behind the repeated failure. Also, we're willing to try the repair on our own this time, but need help locating the resistor to replace it (and whatever else you may determine could be causing this)

Friday, April 23rd, 2010 AT 7:50 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Based on your description, I feel the blower motor itself is going bad and drawing too many amps. As a result, the first thing to go is the resister. Have the motor tested for amperage draw and let me know what you find.

Saturday, April 24th, 2010 AT 10:56 PM
  • litagator

I was able to locate the resistor and pull it out and check it. The resistor seems to be just fine. So I went " upstream" to the relay. One of the contacts inside of the relax was fried to a crisp, and had actually melted part of the plastic casing inside. While I can replace the relay, the plug that goes into the relay is another matter. I cannot figure out how to remove and replace the plug end - it appears to go straight into the wiring harness. Thoughts?

Sunday, April 25th, 2010 AT 3:03 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

If the connector to the wiring harness has melted down, there should be small clips that when depressed with a small screwdriver allow the wiring to come out.

LEt me know if that is what you mean. I would also check the draw from the motor. It sounds like it is drawing too much power.

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 10:36 AM
  • litagator

Will check the line draw to the motor and let you know. I found the clips this weekend, but the wires did not seem to want to come out and I didn't want to pull on them too much since I wasn't sure I could get a replacement part. Will check on all of it and get back with you. What would the name of the part (or part number) be for the piece that attaches to the wiring harness and slides up into the blower motor relay?

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 10:55 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Are you refering to the plug?

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 11:27 AM
  • litagator

Yes, I guess it would be the plug... see pictures attached... it burned through the side of the casing or the plug it shorted so badly... but it is all cleaned up and did work when connected to a new relay. I will need to buy a new plug to put on, however... and will test the fan this evening and let you know.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/520351_connector_side_view_with_burnout_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/520351_connector_top_view_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/520351_clip_view_with_wire_insertion_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/520351_relay_burn_view_1.jpg

Not great quality taken with cell cam -but I think you can see it enough

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 2:04 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Actually, the pictures are great. It looks like something is drawing too much power and overheating the connection.

Let me know what you find.

Monday, April 26th, 2010 AT 11:21 PM