CHEVY BLEEDING BRAKES

1999 Chevrolet Blazer

samd222

August, 20, 2010 AT 11:43 PM

Brakes problem
1999 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I replaced both rear caliper and brakes. I replaced them on different days. After each replacement I bled the caliper only on the side I replaced. I tried to drive and the brake dash light is on and the brake pedal goes all the way down to the floor. What should I do?

Brake Fluid Bleeding

1 IMAGE

Brake Bleed Issues

pear69

August, 21, 2010 AT 12:00 AM

How did you bleed the brakes?

samd222

August, 21, 2010 AT 12:13 AM

By pumping the brakes then holding the pedal down. Then opening the bleeder valve when it was held down.

pear69

August, 21, 2010 AT 2:45 AM

You probably trapped some air in the lines when you were bleeding the brakes. If you pumped the brake pedal rapidly, air bubbles probably formed in the brake fluid - thus causing the pedal to go to the floor. If you didnt change the fluid (at least in the master cylinder) - you probably should. The best way to get air out of the brake system is to use a vacuum brake bleeder.
Also, you could have damaged the seals inside of the master cylinder when you were pumping up the brakes -- check for leaks around the master cylinder and make sure the brake line at the caliper is not leaking.

samd222

August, 24, 2010 AT 3:52 PM

I have pressure in the brakes again but when I tried to drive it the passenger rear side started smoking and I couldnt get up to speed. I had just replaced this caliper. Could something be wrong with the master cylinder that would freeze the pistons. This is the third caliper that has frozen up. Twice on passenger rear and once on driver rear. There was nothing left of the brake pads which made me think that they both could have frozen because of that, but it did it again after the new pads.

Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement