CHEVY ENGINE DIES RANDOMLY

1996 Chevrolet Beretta

Mashur

October, 26, 2009 AT 12:25 AM

1996 Chevy Beretta 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 141659 miles

Please Help. My car has been dying randomly, and then starts right up. The check engine light only came on once and it was my O2 sensor and Emmisons leak. And the when the car goes to shift sometimes it shifts up then back down then to the right gear. The car will work fine for some days then just die 10 times in a day. Took it to the dealer ship and they said it might be the Ignition module and it would cost around 650 dollars to fix. Could the O2 sensor and Emmisons leak do this or is it the ignition module, or something else.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

December, 21, 2009 AT 9:47 AM

It could be many things. Has anyone checked the fuel pump pressure? Also, has the filter been replaced?

As far as the ignition module, it could be the problem, but that price is crazy. Aftermarket, a new one is under 90 bucks and it held on by three bolts. It should take about 20 minutes to change it. Thus, 650.00 is nuts!!!

Check the fuel pressure. Here is a how to for that.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Also, keep in mind that if the pressure is good, it could be several other electrical components such as a crank sensor, cam sensor, TPS... However, that should show up when they scan the computer.

Let me know what you find.