CHEVY RIGHT REAR AXLE BUSHING ASSEMBLY

2007 Chevrolet Aveo

hagenmw

June, 1, 2010 AT 3:24 PM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2007 Chevy Aveo 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 31000 miles

The right rear axle bushing is worn, consequently it makes 'thumping' noise when driving over rough terrain. Both the axle and bushing are sold as a unit according to the mechanic at a cost of $640 + labor. Question: True? If so, can I have a bushing manufactured as a 'work-a-round' and not replace the axle? If no, what is the down side (risk) of not replacing the axle/bushing unit, other than thumping?

pblevs

April, 22, 2011 AT 4:41 PM

Thats funny because I just had my 2007 chevy aveo checked today for the same thing rt rear thumping noise. I was also told that the whole axel unit would have to be replaced. There are no braces to keep the axel centered and if replace it will do exactly the same thing. I think this should be a recall! The axel can be moved back and forth from right to left with a crow bar, this should never happen.

Corey1317

June, 30, 2011 AT 8:17 AM

I am having the same trouble as well with my 2007 Chevy Aveo, however mine is the left rear bushing. I was also told I had to replace the whole axle. My GM dealership wants 1000+ to fix it, and its only got 56,000 miles.

heatherh1285

July, 8, 2011 AT 9:56 PM

I also have a 2007 Chevy Aveo, and my car is in the shop as I type for repairs on my front axel bushings. They also told me that I would need to replace my rear axel bushings, my GM dealer also wants 1000+ for the rear and $450 for the front. If this is a common problem like it seems to be GM needs to have a recal it.

oouter

July, 16, 2011 AT 12:48 AM

I have a 2008 Suzuki Swift+ (exact same as your aveo), my rear trailing arm bushings went too, but they replaced the whole rear suspension under warranty about 4 months ago.

johnandlindamohler

November, 9, 2012 AT 5:23 AM

I have a 2007 Aveo with 70,000 klms, and just 2 weeks after the 5 year GM warranty, the right rear bushing started to clunk. GM said "no warranty as was outside of the 5 years, and would cost over $1,000 to fix it, because they don't supply the bushings. You have to buy the whole axle at $575. What a joke!

The bushings had enlarged holes. Because the aluminum inner self lubed bushing had worn out and the outside rubber came unglued from outer shell. The whole rear axle was able to move from side to side. Replaced the bushings with a new ones I ordered from online.
GM did not inform me of this (they are quite aware of the aftermarket bushings)

Can't GM not feel for all their customers suffering from their lousy workmanship?

Shame on GM for over charging their valuable customers to fix a problem they created in the first place. Should be a Recall. Bushings in Toyota's and such have held together for 400,000 plus klm, because they have used a steel shell in the middle. Those who purchased a new car from GM because they believed in their products will not be interested in another GM product in the future.
Shame on GM. They should own up to their own stupid idea and repair this problem with a set of new properly built bushings. The repair would take about 2 hours and the bushings would cost less than $5 each to make.
I will be buying a new car in the next couple years and I will not go near a GM dealership.

elvisthepelvis

March, 20, 2013 AT 4:58 AM

You replace the bushings only with part number #1J0 501 541C from AutoHaus. Com at 1-800-240-4620. Their $15.75 ea for both sides and yes its a VW part but an EXACT fit and made by MEYLE. The new part number as of Jan 2013 is 6R0501541A. Theres a guy that shows you how he did it at

VWVortex. Com - How to : DIY rear axle bushing, MKIV

He shows tools and pics as well.
I got all this info from the aveo forum. Com. This guys lower rear control arm is almost identicle to the Aveo so check out both sites and or at least talk to your mechanic to look at the info.
And YES it will work on our Aveo!
Good luck!

elvisthepelvis

March, 20, 2013 AT 5:02 AM

OOPPSS!
Its VWVortex. Com - How to : DIY rear axle replacement, MKIV

Its a thread dated 5-9-2005 on VWvortex. Com

elvisthepelvis

March, 20, 2013 AT 5:23 AM

VWVortex. Com - How to : DIY rear axle bushing replacement, MKIV

Thread dated 5-9-2005
Sorry about that! And then theres another guy that sell them on e-bay too. Just type in
E-bay Rear axle bushings aveo pontiac wave

Axle Seal Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Service - Front
Differential Fluid Level Check
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD