CHEVY KEY LOCK TUMBLER/IGNITION SWITCH

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

Discontent

October, 14, 2010 AT 11:14 AM

Computer problem
2002 Chevy Avalanche V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 185XXX miles

Someone recently attempted to steal our avalance. They were unsucessful in stealing it, but succesful in breaking most of the ignition assembly. My question is, after changing out the key and switch do I need to have the computer reset? I was told the new tumbler has a code and the computer wont recognize it, and wont start. If so is this a DIY type of thing, or will I be forced to bring it to a shop?

Can't Remove Ignition Key

97 Country Ignition Switch

Wrenchtech

October, 14, 2010 AT 11:22 AM

30 Minute Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs, if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

Discontent

October, 15, 2010 AT 5:42 PM

Have attempted what you suggested a couple times now, and I still havent been able to get the truck to start. I have yet to re-install the steering wheel/airbag, and was wondering if that could also cause the truck to not start.

Wrenchtech

October, 15, 2010 AT 5:58 PM

If your security light is on or flashing and the relearn isn't working, then it still has a hard failure somewhere. You will need a Tech2 scan tool to diagnose it.

Discontent

October, 15, 2010 AT 6:52 PM

Double post sorry.

Wrenchtech

October, 15, 2010 AT 6:54 PM

I already responded to that.

GM Key Fob Programming
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000