Strange engine noise

FRANKPUNK
  • CHEVROLET ASTRO
Hallo I'm writing from Germany, so plesae excure that my english isn't very good.
I'm got a 1989 Chevrolet Astro Van with the 4.3l v6 Z TBI engine. The Milage is about 160000 miles.
The engine runs good. No starting problems, power is good, but there is a strange noise that I can't locate.
If the engine oil get older (round about 4 month) the engine start to make a rattling noise. The noise only appears under load / acceleration. At driving time at 55 miles/h no noise is there.
Change the engine oil fixies the problem. But I drive not much, maybe 400 miles a month. That cannot be the problem.
Do you got any idea what's wrong with the engine?

Best regrads Frank
Thursday, August 16th, 2007 AT 5:36 PM

FRANKPUNK
Der Frank,

Our countries are not at War anymore, so we can talk freely. The doughnut gasket connection from the Y pipe to the exhaust system is not tight enough on alot of these Astros. Mine rattles and I can pull on it and it only moves 0.010 inches, but it moves. Have the exhaust system Y pipe connections tightened.

I hope all is well in Germany. Want to trade Governments? Any day! Just say so.

Ken[/quote:750480f661]

Hi Ken,

thanks fro your reply. I will check that, and give you feedback wether that causes the engine inoise in my case.

Frank
Friday, August 17th, 2007 AT 4:41 AM