BATTERY LIGHT IS ON, VOLTS ARE LOW, BUT THINGS CHECKOUT?

Chevrolet Astro

dingoe

January, 31, 2007 AT 10:27 AM

We have a 2000 Chevy Astro with just at 100k and I’m having some issues with the battery light being on and the volts reading low just after firing up. Seems to go away after drive down the street a bit. Just replaced the battery with 100 plus month unit and check the alternator, but starting the motor and pulling the battery cables with no sign of volts reduction or overall engine strain or idle change. I don’t know what it could be. In older V8’s there use to be voltage regulators on the firewall that would need changing from time to time, but what about these new cars?

Thanks for any input.

Ed

Why Is My Battery Light On?

1 IMAGE

Gen Light

Jack42

February, 1, 2007 AT 7:55 AM

Check the charging voltage at the back of the alt. GM side post batteries would leak, causing acid to leech down the cables, creating all sorts of problems. Test power into the underhood fuse center too

dingoe

February, 1, 2007 AT 9:49 AM

Thanks for the input, I ll check the cables first because the last battery was leaking and really made a mess around the tray and all. I did notice that the alternator was much noisier than I had remembered the last time I drove it. Almost like a clutch fan problem, but it s at the alternator. I ll get into it this weekend and see what I find.

Thanks again for the input and it looks like the voltage regulator is on the alternator itself.

dingoe

February, 2, 2007 AT 5:07 PM

Looks like the problems is the cables keep coming loose. Can I use some locktite blue on the cable bolts?

Jack42

February, 3, 2007 AT 8:46 AM

I wouldnt, try to arrange the cables or support them so they dont vibrate and loosen

dingoe

February, 3, 2007 AT 9:41 AM

The negative stay tight so maybe a simple zip-tie would do the trick.

safari-chris

February, 24, 2007 AT 11:08 AM

Hi. So would that info be useful for a 1991 Astro? Cause I USE TO HAVE a problem, once in a while, starting it up, but then I changed the alternator and the battery and the battery light comes on when driving. It turns off when I brake and accelerate, but when I am just " gliding" it reads low. I dont know anything about cars and really dont want to get swindled at some lube n' tune trying to make a buck. And sorry if this info isnt enough.

Jack42

February, 26, 2007 AT 12:06 PM

Might have to replace the cable if acid leeched into it. The curse of the side post battery

Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue