2002 Chevy Astro IGNITION SWITCH

BOBRSUE
  • 2002 CHEVROLET ASTRO
  • AWD
Astro won't start. Have dash lights and battery is new and appears good, also re-attached battery cables and still bad. Not getting starter rotation or noise of any kind (certainly not cranking at all). I'm guessing it's in the ignition switch or relays between the switch and the starter.

If it is the ignition switch, how easy is that to replace by a novice level? I do oil filters, starters, plugs etc when I can get to them. I'd rather not take on a time-consuming or difficult one.

Or could it be a completely dead starter?

It didn't degrade at all over time. Drove it home from getting a tire plugged and next start in the driveway was just dead.
Monday, April 7th, 2008 AT 6:56 AM

RHALL77
I would first check the voltage at the starter when someone is cranking the key. This will tell you if your fuse and relays are good. If no voltage check your fuses. If you dont find anything let me know I can try to help you out.
-1
Monday, April 7th, 2008 AT 7:32 AM
If the battery has a good charge and the cables are clean and tight, can you tell if there is a load on the circuit, when you turn the key to crank? One way to tell, is to turn on the headlites or watch the dome lite, when you turn the key to crank. If the lites stay bright and no starter action, sounds like an open circuit.

If it's an open circuit, my first thought would be the neutral safety switch, have you tried cranking it in neutral?

There should be a starter relay in the power distribution center, under the hood. You could check those circuits, you should be able to crank the starter from that relay, make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set.
Monday, April 7th, 2008 AT 7:40 AM
BOBRSUE
Hey, I prayed to St Christopher and on the first attempt this morning it started normally. Actually I didn't even pray. It's running in the driveway now. I'm thinking to drive it to Autozone and testing the starter.

Yesterday I did try neutral, no help. Also the dome light didn't dim. Seems like the juice is fine.

I did notice the fuel pump hum I think is triggered with the ignition switch, but there was NO noise from the starter. No clicks and no rotation of the motor.

I was initially thinking it was NOT the starter because I thought it would be either the solenoid or the motor, but not both. I thought I would hear one of the two sounds. The Chevy dealer I asked to guess over the phone is guessing starter, not ignition switch. He has seen both parts of the starter go bad.

I'd rather not get into jumping the circuits or even diagnosing voltages (dumb huh). I'm just a wrench and bolts simple-stuff kind of guy.
Monday, April 7th, 2008 AT 7:58 AM