Car has tried to start on its own

DAVID GRAY2
  • 2013 GMC TERRAIN
On two separate occasions I have left the key in the ignition and while I was outside the vehicle with the key in the ignition in the off position it has tried to start. Both times, once I heard it try a few times and realized what was going on, I went and removed the key from the ignition, and it stopped trying to start. Any ideas what might be causing this?
Tuesday, October 12th, 2021 AT 9:58 AM

Hi,

That is the first time I heard of this type of issue. Does the vehicle have a remote starter? If it does, is it an aftermarket system or from the manufacturer?

When you say you hear it try to start, do you actually hear the starter engage? I'm asking because the starter switch isn't where the key inserts. So, that is confusing me a bit. There could be an issue with the switch where it's shorting internally.

Regardless, let me know about the remote starter. Also, let me know as many details as possible. For example, it does it only happen when the engine is warm.

Let me know.

Tuesday, October 12th, 2021 AT 6:27 PM

Sponsored links