Car will not turn over. One click

DSPRATFORD
  • 1998 FORD WINDSTAR
Van will not start. When turning the key only get one click. Thought it might be the battery so we tried to jump start but still get the same thing. Not sure what else to check or test. Could it be the starter?
Sunday, October 13th, 2013 AT 9:02 PM

CADIEMAN
Follow the possitive battery cable to the starter seleniod. It 1 to 2 feet off the post. That is what is clicking. It's on the left inner fender panel just follow the clicking noise replace it.
Sunday, October 13th, 2013 AT 11:14 PM
First you have to determine what's clicking. It most likely is the relay on the inner fender near the battery. Tighten the two larger nuts on it. Those nuts commonly work loose on Ford products. If the clicking is coming from the starter itself, the most common cause is a corroded cable at the starter. That corrosion occurs under the wire's insulation where you can't see it. You'll need a test light or voltmeter to do further testing if necessary.
Sunday, October 13th, 2013 AT 11:26 PM
WRENCHTECH
If that is a heavy click you are hearing you might want to try tapping on the b ody of the starter while someone is trying to start it because that sounds like a bad starter.
Monday, October 14th, 2013 AT 6:38 AM
CADIEMAN
Ok guys in the future lets wait for a response from this person. We don't want to get them all confused and try not to JUMP ON on other peoples questions. I rely on you guys for back up when I need it. Ty
Wednesday, October 16th, 2013 AT 2:25 AM
That's not the issue cadieman. If anyone clicks on the question, then takes a while to research it or get to answering it, we can all get the "Submit Answer" button instead of the "Another expert is already answering this question" button. One person can still be typing while another is posting his reply. We used to have an option to delete our own replies when we showed up later. Once that disappeared, we fell all over each other apologizing for a while. Now we've learned to just ignore it, except for one really obnoxious person who Mike has had a conversation with.

You know by now that I type some really long replies. It gets really frustrating to have them disappear when I hit the wrong key or have one of my weekly three-second power failures. If they also got wiped out when I tried to post them because I showed up later, I'd really get ugly.

Now I usually refresh the page first to see if someone already posted, but I copy my reply first so I don't lose it. They're so valuable, I hope to use them again later! So be aware we don't realize we're posting a reply on top of yours, or because we think yours missed the mark. It's because we had no way of knowing you were there already. For that I apologize if I haven't already.

There are a few people who add their own comments a day or two or three later, and while I agree that isn't what most of us would do, I understand that was usually just to add something I forgot, so I don't get offended.

About half of the visitors here never reply back or say "thank you" so we have to have a conversation between ourselves. When someone DOES come back, I leave it up to the first expert to continue with that person unless they ask for my input. Usually I prefer to just sit back and watch, and learn something new.
Wednesday, October 16th, 2013 AT 12:40 PM
DSPRATFORD
I would like to thank everyone that made suggestions. I had the battery tested. And it was good. I followed the lead and mad sure that the terminals were cleaned and tightened. Still no luck. I will be testing the cable in the next few days and go from there. Thank you again.
Friday, October 18th, 2013 AT 4:06 PM