I will give a brief chronology of my problems over the last six weeks and hopefully I can get a recommendation on what to do next.
1. On August first, car will not start in "park", all lights on but no cranking. AAA came checked out battery fine.
2. Later car started on "park" and I dropped up car at PEP BOYS
3. PEP BOYS checked it out and decided I needed a new starter. Starter replaced.
4. Drove car a couple of days and same problems with starting on "park". Towed car to PEP BOYS but problem could not be duplicated.
5. Drove car a couple of days and same problems with starting on "park". Towed car to another repair shop close by but problem could not be duplicated.
6. Kept having the same intermittent start problem as four and five above and car was parked in a parking garage and when tow truck came to tow, height did not allow access. Tow driver went in and moved gear to neutral and it started.
7. Concluded that parking neutral (PN) Switch was the problem. I took car back to PEP BOYS and explained tow truck driver finding and asked them to replace the PN Switch. After re-placement car could not move in gear and they concluded I have a transmission problem. Car towed to Mr. Transmission and they concluded I now have a bad transmission and it has to be rebuilt or replaced. Was the transmission failure while at PEP BOY a coincidence or did they mess up? I am going to small claims court to address that and as a minimum get refund for wrongful replacement of my starter.
8. To cut a long story short, I replaced the transmission with a used one, but I am still having intermittent starting problems in "park" sometimes but it starts on "park" and it always starts on neutral when it does not start on "park". I was just going to ask a mechanic to just replace the PN Switch hoping it will solve the problem. Then I saw this posting in another Nissan forum indicating that this may be another problem causing my starting problem.
[COLOR="Red"] Also, check the cable that runs from your shifter to the ignition itself. Its what will unlock the ignition switch. It also does something which let's the ignition know the vehicle is not in gear which will allow it to start. [COLOR]
So should I replace the PN Switch or this cable referenced above as the first option to solve my intermittent starting problem?
have the same problem?
Monday, September 19th, 2016 AT 3:12 PM