CAR KEEPS CUTTING OUT

1999 Mazda 323

vertvert

May, 20, 2013 AT 3:41 AM

My mazda cuts out when I am slowing down to stop. It does'nt do it all the time, but quite often.
Only had the car a week so did'nt know it did this until after I bought it. Could it be something to do with the fuel?

Hope you can help me its getting to be a nuisance!

Thankyou

Jeanette

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Wrenchtech

May, 20, 2013 AT 6:01 AM

First eliminate all vacuum or air leaks in the system. You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

jaggerjack06

May, 22, 2013 AT 7:32 PM

Is it efi? Because I think it is very possible you just have a carbon buildup in your throttle butterfly. I have had this exact same problem before and I fixed by just cleaning out air intake. Also for the 323's at every service the idle speed is supposed to be adjusted by adjusting the throttle cable, if this is not done it may cause problems too

Wrenchtech

May, 23, 2013 AT 2:37 AM

Vertvert.
Please ignore the last post as it is totally incorrect.

The idle speed absolutely cannot be adjusted with the throttle cable.