CAR SHUTS OFF AT IDLE

Cadillac STS

Banes

March, 24, 2007 AT 4:30 PM

1998 Cadillac Seville STS 91,000 miles. My car shuts off when I'm at a stoplight or idling in traffic. I turn the key and it starts right up but will happen again a couple of more times that day. I noticed this happens mostly after it rains or snows outside. But it has happened other times too. The car drives fine and no loss of power or anything, no smells, no weird sounds. The radio and lights still work when this happens. No trouble codes have come up and the check engine light hasn't come on. I was told it could be the idle speed control sensor or crankshaft position sensor, but i'm looking for a second opinion.

merlin2021

March, 27, 2007 AT 3:10 PM

Does it run rough at idle? Is it showing the check engine light? And when was the last tune-up?

thomastron

April, 23, 2008 AT 3:31 PM

Did you ever find a solution. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I might just swap a new ECU in since its cheap and I don't have any other ideas.

It's weird because it runs perfectly and it when it shuts off it's smooth. It's not like it's dying or anything.

leo90d

November, 11, 2012 AT 10:01 AM

I have a 1998 cadillac deville with the same exact problem seems to be a common occurrence. So far we have changed the both the crank shaft sensors and the fuel filter but that has not fixed the problem.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz