2001 CADILLAC STS HEATED SEATS

• grante11
  • 2001 Cadillac STS

2001 Cadillac STS V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

The driver's side heated seats on my 2001 seville sts burn out after about only a year. My extended warranty doesn't cover the seats, and this is about a $500.00 repair. Is their reliability a known problem, or is there something wrong with my STS?

Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 10:39 PM

• James W.

Is it the element in the seat that is going out, or the control module? Please advise. There no TSB's that I can find about this being a common problem.

Thursday, December 18th, 2008 AT 11:56 PM
  • grante11

It is the element. They get real hot on the left edge for a few minutes, and then die. The module is fine. This will be the 5th time the driver's side seat element has burned out since I bought the car new in 2001. Could you check the TSBs on the 2001 Deville? I think that there were about 4.

Sunday, December 21st, 2008 AT 12:59 AM
  • James W.

Ironically, you are the 2nd 2001 STS I have had this month with the exact same problem. I checked for TSB's on Cad heated seats from '95 to '05, and found nothing. Judging from your information, the heat grid must be shorting to create a " hot spot" in the circuit. What happened to the previous seats? Same thing, or did they just quit heating?
I have done a little research on this, even talked to the dealer. Apparently, the problem is most common in the '00 to '04 models. The dealer said the most common cause is " kneeling" on the seat. This puts more strain on the heat grid and breaks or shorts the system and either kills the heat or creates a hot spot. I was told they have been waiting for the seat manufacturer to come up with a solution, but nothing yet. There is a " rumor" they are waiting for a recall because of possible fire danger. Apparently, the seat control module will shut down if the amperage gets beyond a certain point. But that's small consolation for something you paid for that doesn't work. All I can really say is, if you have had to replace the heater as many times as you say, I would push the dealer for some type of " warranty" coverage. Let me know how this comes out so I can pass the info to others.

Sunday, December 21st, 2008 AT 11:25 AM