1989 Cadillac STS Parking and headlights stopped working.

PLEE
  • 1989 CADILLAC STS
1. Blew something while removing a broken brake light bulb. Now the parking and side lights no longer work. The brake lights, backup lights, and turn signals function properly. I checked the fuses in the glove box for the parking lamps and even swapped them out. Still no go. Heard there was a fuse link in the wiring harness but don't know where it's located. Also, owner's manual mentions a relay circuit under the passenger side dash but don't know if this is related.

2. I don't know if this is related but both headlamps also do not work. Haven't tried replacing the bulbs yet but I understand they are on a dedicated circuit breaker, so it should be just the bulbs, right? Do the circuit breakers need to be reset?
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 2:42 PM

FACTORYJACK
Circuit breakers are self resetting, and are usually not in control of lights. If you have a test light, check fuse 19(park lamps) for power. If it has no light, check fuse 15(tail lamps) for open. On the headlamps, I would try plugging in a known good light, if you have one. Was there perhaps one blown, and maybe the other followed suit?
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 1:41 AM
PLEE
In my original request I had already checked the fuses. I even swapped them around without positive results. So parking lights are still out. You clarified whether the circuit breakers needed resetting and I am still working on that issue. Having both headlights go out (not simultaneously but within two weeks of each other) is mighty suspicious. But I will try replacing one to see the results.
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 2:34 PM
FACTORYJACK
The circuit breakers in an automobile are self resetting. There are no circuit breakers in most circuits on your vehicle. There maybe two for the power seats. I also said to check for power at and across them fuses, that will tell you if it is a loss of power to the fuses, or after. If you lost one headlight, and then the other, I am almost certain you just have some bulbs out. I also don't show a fusible link in the circuits, in the schematic that I am referencing.
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 2:53 PM