ENGINE ROUGH IDLE/SURGE

1998 Cadillac SLS

D_man1960

February, 6, 2009 AT 11:15 AM

1998 Cadillac SLS V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 155000 miles

When I start my car it sometimes runs rough. Not all the time, though more often than not. When it's in park it seems to idle better. When at a stop sign in drive, it will be fine then sputter like a murmer then go back to normal, then sputter again. When driving on the freeway, it seems like it's not getting enough fuel but when I step on the gas it seems fine. When I put it in neutral, it runs like a champ!

Someone mentioned to me it could be clogged throttle body, or even plugs, wires. I changed the fuel filter thinking it might be the problem, but it wasn't. Any ideas? How do I run a code check?

factoryjack

February, 6, 2009 AT 11:02 PM

Sounds like a secondary miss due to arcing wires/cracked or worn plugs. If the wires still have cylinder #'s on them they are original. Check the coil terminals that the plug wires connect to, any sign of corrosion, replace the coil for that pair as well.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro