TIMING CHAIN MARKS

Cadillac Seville

AFLNTRPRZ

February, 22, 2007 AT 2:49 PM

1978 Cadillac Seville, 5.7L.350 olds, fuel injected. The manual says align the marks. When aligned it is not at compression stroke! When opposite it is at compression stroke & #1. Is it ok to put together since it is at T.D.C. &Amp; at #1? It was like that when I dismantelled.I was replacing water pump so I decided to put new chain. I have tried turning crankshaft to align, but when I bump engine to align marks # 1, compression stroke is perfectly aligned but opposite side. The crank mark being on top. The cam mark being on top also, should be on bottom. If aligned together it seems to be not pushing my rag out of the #1 spark plug hole. Am I doing it right?

CHEVYII

February, 22, 2007 AT 6:30 PM

Sounds like your a ok, tdc #1.

mathiaso

February, 22, 2007 AT 7:06 PM

Do you have inserted rag in the spark plug hole and wait untill the piston push it out to confirm that the piston #1 is at TDC? : )
I'm just trying to undertand what is going on.

CHEVYII

February, 22, 2007 AT 7:24 PM

Thats what I got out of it

mathiaso

February, 22, 2007 AT 9:55 PM

I just worry that rotating the crancksaft or camsaftf with the timing chain removed would cause valve-to-piston contact. Is that correct?
Just though alignement of timing marks on the camsaft and cranksaft sprokets was enough to indicate TDC number one compression stroke. Just learn about the rags,
* replace the timing chain and sprokets as set. Do not run new chain against worn sproket, or early faillure can occur.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet