2003 Cadillac Escalade Loss of Power

RAENEVE
  • 2003 CADILLAC ESCALADE

2003 Cadillac Escalade V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

My truck recently had a loss of power while on a road trip. I slowed down to 55 mph, turned off AC and it was able to drive another 4-5 miles until it shut down completely. I pulled off let it sit for about 20 minutes and started it right back up. Continued about 3- miles and it loss power again. This happened once before about a year ago on the same 8 hour road trip. Towards the end of trip I loss power, however, I pulled off waited and started back up and had not had a problem until now.

Had it towed 200 miles. My mechanic who is not although not a Cadillac dealer said could not find a problem or error code. It has been driving fine around town.
Afraid might happen on a long trip again. Any ideas?

Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 10:59 PM

FACTORYJACK

The fact that it is not setting a code, and that it is happening so infrequently makes it a bit difficult. Some possibilities may include a faulty fuel pump, or connection to, or possibly a crank sensor that fails when hot. You had no engine power reduced message, I would assume?

Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 11:29 PM
RAENEVE

No I did not notice anything on my dash advising of such. What would that infer if so? If it the crank sensor is a possibility can they test for it easily?

Thanks for your time.

Wednesday, August 25th, 2010 AT 9:29 PM
FACTORYJACK

If you had a reduced engine power message come up, it may relate to a throttle actuator, or accelerator position sensor problem. In my experience, a crank sensor can be normal most of the time when tested, and its operating normally. When it is acting up, it can be found to have a high resistance or open circuit, but that is when it is acting up.

Friday, August 27th, 2010 AT 12:58 AM