ESACALADE WON'T TURN OVER

1999 Cadillac Escalade

pounders

November, 2, 2009 AT 10:46 AM

1999 Cadillac Escalade V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

OK, this one has me stumped. A few weeks ago our Escalade wouldn't turn over. When the key was turned I would hear a loud click coming from the starter, nothing else. Eventually one of the clicks will catch and the truck will fire right up. It will only happen after it has been sitting overnight. On occassion, if I just hold the key in the start position it will fire after a 4-5 second delay. I have changed the starter, the starter relay and the fuel pump. Once it has started, it fires right up every time for the rest of the day. When it doesn't turn over by key, it also will not start by remote. I just get the same clicking sound. If it's not the starter, the relay or the fuel pump, what else could it be that would affect the key and remote when starting?

pounders

November, 2, 2009 AT 10:55 AM

Here are a few more things I just thought of. I have put a reader on it and no codes are found. Additionally, when I turn the key everything else comes on like it should. The battery voltage is 13.7 and the connections are tight and the battery tests fine under a load.

November, 2, 2009 AT 1:15 PM

Hi pounders and TY for the donation

You have replaced 2 components of the starting circuit-that is the starter and starter relay-Now its time to test the igniton switch and P/N switch

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_start1_4.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_start2_4.jpg

pounders

November, 2, 2009 AT 6:09 PM

Rasmataz, I have already tried putting the vehicle in neutral as well as any other gear to check to see if the shift position possibly had something to do with it. No luck. When it won't start, it won't start in any position. As far as the ignition goes, it will not remote start either, which bypasses the ignition switch, correct?

Remember, the car will eventually start after 6-7 tries clicking the switch back and forth or holding it in the start position.

I am leaning toward a bad starter or starter solenoid right now, even though it is brand new. The next time it does not start I am going to try to jump out the leads on the solenoid.

November, 2, 2009 AT 6:17 PM

Understand okay short out the purple wire on the starter solenoid to the battery terminal on it-did the starter engage the engine? Nothing happens-drop the starter and take back where you got it-

factoryjack

November, 4, 2009 AT 10:19 PM

Considering the remote start is added aftermarket. If all else fails, remove or disable it and see if that doesn't correct your concern.

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang