OIL PRESSURE LIGHT

1998 Cadillac El Dorado

Jetsa

August, 8, 2008 AT 11:14 PM

1998 Cadillac El Dorado V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I work for a GM dealer and very recently did the dreaded head gasket job on this Eldo. Runs fine now but on the initial test drive of approx. 15 miles, stopped at a stop light and the oil light came on in the cluster. I raised the rpm's and it went away while sitting at the light. Went to next light, same thing except this time the message center said " low oil pressure, stop engine", so I did. Light changed and I restarted and took off, no lights no message. The engine never knocked. Since then I have made the same trip with no ac on and no oil light appeared, made same trip again with ac and it came on.

My question is this.I bought a cheap low powered battery. Is it possible that there isnt enough battery for all the electrical that a Cadillac has and after a lengthy drive, the battery isnt enough and makes the oil light come on? I monitored battery voltage and at idle it is near 12 volts, which is low. Could this cause the oil light to come on at idle, where there is less battery voltage and lower oil pressure?

mhpautos

August, 9, 2008 AT 2:47 AM

Hi there,

I would be checking the alternator rather than the battery, but first I would check the oil pressure with a master gauge as this will give a true indication as to the engine oil pressure.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010
 Oil Change & Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte