2004 Cadillac Deville PO741 diagnostic code

DCBWAY
  • 2004 CADILLAC DEVILLE
First, I'm not against paying for advice. However, I've already done so at several sites and do not accept that a 5 year old cadillac with less than 100,000 miles needs a $4000 rebuild. I understand the code is a circuit problem with the torque convertor lockup stuck in the off position. What needs to be done to correct this problem. There are currently no other codes but I did have a po410 and replaced the egr valve and pump recently. About 30 miles later the check light came on and this is the code I extracted.
Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 3:44 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check the transmission fluid level. Also check the tranny fluid lines to the radiator to ensure they are not pinched, plugged or twisted as this would cause transmission overheating and cause this code to appear as well.
+3
Thursday, March 25th, 2010 AT 4:49 PM
FACTORYJACK
You may not need a $4000 rebuild, but consider this. If you are paying someone to do a job as extensive as this, it is wise for them to at least give you the options. The P0741 code sets because high torque converter slip speed was observed. Externally, there is no way to pinpoint what in the hydraulic circuit is causing this. The possibilities include the torque converter, TCC PWM solenoid, the turbine shaft o-ring, there are two teflon seals in the channel plate, and one teflon seal on the drive sprocket, plus the 10+ hours of labor to get there. At 90k miles, you do not know what you are going to find once you get in to it. Mind you, resealing the TCC circuit does not take you very far past transaxle removal. At a minimum, whenever I perform a P0741 repair, I estimate a minimum of what is listed above. At one time, I was pretty confident in my process, and after seeing several concerns with the teflon seals in the plate & converters on backorder, I decided to do the repair less the $600 converter. That was the one time I had to remove the transaxle on my dime to replace the converter, after the fault returned a short time after. This vehicle had over 100k miles. Since converter was replaced, had no other related issues. There also have been rare occasions of the stator(drive sprocket) support being worn, and that is not noticed until teardown, it is also part of the circuit. There is even a bulletin on the issue that I will forward you. To answer your original question though, you probably do not need a complete overhaul, but at any rate it is a variable until you enter.
#04-07-30-034A: Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, DTC P0741, Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Excessive Slip, Chuggle, Slip/Surge (Inspect and/or Replace Various Internal Transaxle Components) - (Oct 13, 2009)

Subject: Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0741, Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Excessive Slip, Transaxle Chuggle, Slip/Surge (Inspect and/or Replace Various Internal Transaxle Components)

Models: 1998-2002 Cadillac Eldorado

1998-2004 Cadillac Seville

1999-2004 Cadillac DeVille

2000-2003 Oldsmobile Aurora

Equipped With 4T80-E Automatic Transaxle RPO MH1

This Bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-034 ( Section - 07 Transmission/Transaxle)

Condition
Some customers may comment on the SES light being illuminated and a chuggle or surge being felt when driving at higher speeds.

Technicians may observe on the Tech 2 , an excessive torque converter clutch (TCC) slip speed and DTC P0741 set as Current or in History.

Cause
" This condition may be caused by seal damage that allows the TCC apply fluid to leak into the channel plate, causing excessive TCC slippage under certain operating conditions, eventually resulting in a total loss of TCC apply fluid pressure.

" The TCC may have partial apply fluid pressure or no apply fluid pressure. If excessive slip speed is noted on the Tech 2 and the condition/cause cannot be corrected by using the DTC P0741 diagnostic information, then worn seals from slippage of the drive sprocket bearing inner race on the drive sprocket are indicated.

Correction
DO THIS
DON'T DO THIS

Repair the transaxle
DO NOT replace the complete transaxle assembly

Follow the diagnostic and repair procedure below to repair this condition:

Remove the transaxle from the vehicle. Refer to Transmission Replacement in SI.
Remove the torque converter from the transmission.
Install the holding fixture to the transaxle. Refer to Holding Fixture Installation, Document ID #513730 in SI.
Remove the transaxle side cover, upper valve body and case cover. Refer to Unit Repair Information in SI.

Inspect the two case cover seals (34 and 35) for uneven wear patterns.

Inspect the two case cover seals (34 and 35) for uneven wear patterns. The wear patterns will be evident by a uneven wear pattern of the inner diameter white seal surface.

Inspect the two case cover seals (34 and 35) for splits/tears and or flat spots.

Inspect the support drive socket (400) for wear on the bearing race.
Inspect the case cover (33) for wear or damage due to the drive sprocket bearing spinning in the bore.
Important:

" During the tear down inspection, pay particular attention to seals (34, 35, 409 and 412) for wear or damage.

" Seals (34, 35, 409 and 412) are part of Gasket Kit, P/N 24231068, and do not need to be ordered separately.

" Replace the Torque Converter when servicing a vehicle with this condition.

" Flush the transaxle cooler with Transflow cooler flushing tool, J 45096. Refer to Service Bulletins:

" Info - Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flush and Flow Test Essential Tool J 45096, TransFlow #02-07-30-052

" Transmission Cooling System Service Tool J 45096 - Transflow Information #03-07-30-002.

Replace only the necessary internal transaxle components per: the tear down inspection. See the following Parts Information section.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

24231068
GASKET KIT, A/TRNS SERV
1

24229131
COVER, A/TRNS CASE
1

8681071
SUPPORT, DRV SPKT
1

24209248
CONVERTER, TORQ (REMAN) (TCC) (04.115) 4.6Y (LD8), 4-SPD A/TRANS (MH1)
1

24209249
CONVERTER, TORQ (REMAN) (TCC) (04.115) 4.6-9 (L37), LEADED FUEL EMIS EXPORT (NM8), UNLEADED FUEL EXPORT (NN8), 3.71R (FV4), (EXC JAPANESE PCM (R1N)
1

24209250
CONVERTER, TORQ (REMAN) (TCC) (04.115)4.6-9 (L37), 4-SPD A/TRANS (MH1) 3.71R (FV4)
1
+4
Friday, March 26th, 2010 AT 12:05 AM