CANNOT OPEN GLOVE BOX DOOR

2003 Cadillac Deville

pkared

February, 8, 2010 AT 8:50 AM

Interior problem
2003 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

Glove box latch would not open, was caused by broken plastic " Finger". I took it apart and glued the finger but closed the door to keep from running the battery down. Now I can't get the door open. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe a picture of the inside of the latch mechanism so I can see what I'm trying to actuate to get it open?

02 Lx

factoryjack

February, 8, 2010 AT 9:51 PM

There is not a picture that is going to be that detailed. If you still have the release handle off, there is a wire hook inside the opening that actuates a cable. If you can visualize what the plastic finger that was broken, does, it rotates this hook downward. If the handle is attached, you should be able to view the hook from the underside of the handle. Often times, why the finger breaks, is the handle was pulled with the door locked. Odds are that gluing will only be short term repair.

pkared

February, 10, 2010 AT 4:00 PM

With the release handle off, you have the wire hook, cable and the little plastic hook in your hand. And the door was latched. I was able to lay down on a sunny day and look way up and to the side and was able to see the grey rubber grommet in a yellowish metal bracket or slider that the plastic hook and cable plug into. Then I stuck a screwdriver in that hole and was able to move it enough to release the catch.

factoryjack

February, 10, 2010 AT 11:13 PM

I thought the cable portion was part of the door, sorry for the misinformation.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement