Coolant Leaking Underneath

STARKS2020
  • 2001 CADILLAC DEVILLE

I had coolant leaking underneath my car. The coolant reservoir was emptied so I refilled it and drove it into a Car Center. They took an hour to test and inspect my vehicle and came back with an estimate of $1,300. They said I needed a new water pump, water pump housing, several hoses and gaskets needed replacing, new thermosat and coolant flush.
(Did I mention I was a woman). I told them to top off the coolant and I declined the repairs. I drove home expecting to have to add coolant again when I got home. I got out and looked underneath and my coolant was no longer leaking. In fact, My coolant reservoir was still full. So it had not leaked, whereas it leaked rapidly before. I noticed that the hose from the reservoir was now connected, whereas it had not been before. Could my only problem have been the outlet hose was not connected or should I take my car into another Car Center for diagnostic? It has not once ran hot.
Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 2:11 PM

FACTORYJACK
It is possible that it will leak more cold, when metals are contracted. It can be leaking from the water pump cover, or the water pump housing, both common on this year. You don't need the coolant flush, you would be having the system completely drained for your repairs. The outlet hose was probably just to direct overfill.
Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 11:58 PM
STARKS2020
Thanks for the quick reply.
It is no longer leaking, cold or hot. I've checked for the past 2 days. Could it have just been a loose hose? Should I still be concerned?
-1
Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010 AT 9:22 PM
FACTORYJACK
It could have been a loose hose, but like I say, the hose your talking about that was off the reservoir was probably just an overfill tube. More than likely, all your hoses have spring type clamps, at least it did from the factory. It could be a slow enough leak that it could evaporate or burn off while driving. You should still be aware of the possibility, not necessarily concerned or worried, unless it progresses. Just keep an eye on the level. You also have a coolant level sensor in the reservoir that will notify you via the drivers info center, when the level gets low.
+2
Wednesday, February 3rd, 2010 AT 11:19 PM
MRDB
None of those answered my question
+1
Saturday, December 24th, 2016 AT 7:36 PM
MRDB
My 2000 cadillac dts is leaking coolant from the bottom or back of engine what is the problem
+1
Saturday, December 24th, 2016 AT 7:39 PM
Of course they didn't apply to your car. You're piggybacking on someone elses question from many years ago. That was a conversation between two people. You need to start your own question so all the experts will have a chance to see it and reply, then it too will become a conversation between you and one other person.

You wouldn't walk up to the service writer in a shop and tell them, the repairs to the last person's car didn't solve my problem. You need to start your own question and include as much detail as possible. Include your car model and year, and especially the engine size. It's also helpful to include any related history leading up to the problem, and clues or observations, so we don't have to waste time asking. With GM cars, also tell us if you've failed to have the coolant replaced every two years. If that is the case, expect a lot of leaks due to corroded metal parts. Leaking heater cores are real common.
+1
Sunday, December 25th, 2016 AT 12:12 PM
GEE
  • 2001 CADILLAC DEVILLE
  • 100 MILES
2001 Cadillac DeVille. It looks like by the water pump housing. That housing goes along driver side of the motor. Pump Pump has been replaced
Sunday, August 18th, 2019 AT 10:05 AM (Merged)
RIVERMIKERAT
Purchase a bottle of leak detector dye and rent or borrow a black light. Pour the dye in, run the engine for about 20 minutes, then run the black light over the engine. The leak will show up as a bright florescent color.
+2
MARKVELLUTATO
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE
About a month ago I took my car to PepBoys because I had a steady drip of antifreeze just in front of the front passenger tire roughly between the tire and radiator. I had actually gone to Jiffy Lube for an oil change and they saw the leak and told me I needed to get this taken care of asap because I wouldn't get very far. The next day, PepBoys told me that I needed a new coolant reservoir. They removed it and brought it out to me and said it was leaking near the little spout where a small black hose connects to it. I really couldn't see anything! I had no choice but to let them put in a new reservoir and I was shocked this was a $350 job. To get the reservoir out, they had to evacuate my A/C system and I left there without A/C. They said I only had 2 oz of refrigerant. I know that wasn't true because I had great A/C and actually used it on my way there! After I left, about a mile down the road the "low refrigerant" light came on and the compressor shut off. I went back and they told me I needed a new evaporator because they could hear a slight hissing sound behind the dash where the evaporator is when they tried to put some refrigerant in the car. They said that this was a 10 hour job that they don't do. It all seemed very shady to me. I wasn't happy but my antifreeze leak problem seemed to be solved until about a week later, my dash displayed "check coolant level". I needed to add about 3/4 gallon of antifreeze. I wasn't sure if it was still leaking or if PepBoys just didn't top my fluid. So another week went by and the same thing happened. Back to PepBoys I went and after pressure testing the car all they could come up with was the coolant reservoir cap wasn't holding pressure and they put on a new one free of charge. Now I was pissed because I left thinking did I really need the new reservoir! Today, a week later, the check coolant level light came on again and I had to add another 3/4 a gallon of antifreeze. I also notice a slight antifreeze smell when I get out of my car. I don't need A/C now but I don't have heat or defrost either because the compressor turns off. Do you have any idea where my leak may be or what they should check next? Do you think I should go somewhere else and deal with PepBoys later when I find the real problem and get it fixed? Thanks.
MHPAUTOS
Go and get a cooling system pressure test done at a reputable work shop, take this info back to the people that "fixed" the car in the first place and get your money back. There is a high probability that they sold you parts that were not needed. Problem is you must first prove this as they will deny any wrong doing.
HARDHATKATT
  • 1998 CADILLAC DEVILLE
Coolant leaking from cylinder head https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8rWLeDg5ijjandIT29MMVF4Q1U
Link is to video I took. Is this a expansion plug?
+1
Looks like it's coming out of a freeze plug

Video angle does not show the full plug

Is it rusted out in the middle?

Or

Has the freeze plug popped out of it's hole?

The medic
+1
Expansion plug- freeze plug same thing!

The medic
+1
HARDHATKATT
There is literally nothing there, just an open hole. I have looked and looked but can't find any info on a freeze plug for the Northstar any idea what size plug I need?
I know this is a stupid question

Is this an emergency?

Do you have time to do a permanent take stuff apart and install a new one?

Would a temporary fix (do it right soon) work for the present time?

If you can get a hand and a wrench in there

Can really tighten this up good

Can get the right size

Other stores have these too

See this link

Http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/partsearchcmd?storeid=10151&catalogid=10051&pageid=parttypelist&suggestion=&actionsrc=form&langid=-1&vehicleidsearch=-1&vehicle_39340=1998+%3a+cadillac+%3a+deville+%3a+4.6l+281ci+v8+fi+vin%3a+y&vehicle_444699=2009+%3a+chevrolet+%3a+impala+ls+%3a+3.5l+213ci+v6+fi+vin%3a+n&vehicle_49556=2001+%3a+gmc+%3a+savana+1500+%3a+5.0l+305ci+v8+fi+vin%3a+m&searchterm=freeze+plug+-+rubber&searchedfrom=header

Whachu think?

The medic
ROBERTH
  • CADILLAC DEVILLE
My 1998 Cadillac Sedan Deville 195,000 4.6 Northstar engine is in the shop for the 4th time with this-It's going through coolant, I have to add it every other week or two. Now they say that the bolts on the head gaskets are loose because the theads have worn away and it is going through the exhaust system and that the only way to fix it is a new engine! It seems extreme for a coolant leak? I need another idea- I just don't believe my dealership.
Thanks for your help!
RCH
JACK42
Has any real work been done? Ie: water pump, radiator. Etc?
The water pump in your Northstar is at the rear of the engine, driven by the camshaft, rear being the drivers side
+1
HARDHATKATT
I was looking at these earlier the only problem is that when I plug in my car info to find a size it doesn't produce any results. I suppose I could just measure the hole and buy accordingly?
ROBERTH
Yes, the water pump is not that old, the manifold was replaced first then they said it was the gasket at the thermostat that was leaking which should have been caught when they put the new manifold on but wasn't. They say that the threads to the bolts of the head gasket are stripped and that is where the coolant is leaking into the exhaust system. They say those bolts cannot be tightened or replaced the entire engine would have to be replaced. Is this true?
Roger that

It's the back plate and rubber that must fit in the hole

The closer, the better

If it's hard to measure

You might use your imagination and try bottle/ jug caps/ sockets (my favorite)/ anything round that fits the hole that could be measured once removed

The medic
+2

Sponsored links