Radiator replacement

JDCASTLE
  • 2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE
I just installed a new radiator - how do I make sure all of the air is out of the system. It keeps overheating, with water showing in the side tank when it cools down.

I am now about to change the thermostat, the engine went into the red zone twice. The car has 180,000 miles with the original thermostat.
Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 9:47 AM

FACTORYJACK
It usually doesn't have a problem trapping air in the system. It may get warm once, but then the t-stat should open allowing it to purge. There is an air bleed on the thermostat that should be in the top position when installed.

This guide will help you step by step to change the radiator with instructions in the diagrams below to show you how on your car.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-car-radiator

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 10:47 AM
JDCASTLE
Thank you for your advise.
Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 5:55 PM
SHOWTIME205
  • 2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE
Just changed the oil and fill my coolant. Seems like the coolant is not getting to the radiator.
Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 AT 12:55 PM (Merged)
RIVERMIKERAT
With the engine running and hot, grasp the radiator hoses. If one or both are cold, the thermostat is not opening. Also check that radiator. Is it cold or hot? Can you remove the radiator cap and see coolant flowing?
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE
I had a coolin leak and I put two types of stop leak in my radiator it stop the leak but now the car tryin to run warm now what should I do it wasn t runnin warm until I put the stop leak in the names of the stop leak was
prestone super radiator stop leak and the other one was bar none stop leak for intake and radiator
WRENCHTECH
That's why you should NEVER add that stuff to your system. There is no such thing as "Mechanic in a Can". All that stuff does is plug up the rest of your system. You're probably going to have to replace the radiator and thermostat now and possibly the heater core too. When you have a leak, repair whatever is leaking.
ASEMASTER6371
Sealers are very bad news. They rarely work and cause all kinds of problems. It clogs the radiator and heater core causing bad circulation.

I would have that crap flushed out of the system, pressure tested for leaks and repair the leaks correctly.

WRENCHTECH
Flushing may not help at this point. That stuff tends to harden.
KTHOR479
  • 2001 CADILLAC DEVILLE
I am trying to replace my radiator is a 2001 cadillac dhs. The whole thing matches up except the bottom left insert for the hose is to big for the hose to connect. Is there an adapter I can get to help it connect?
Tuesday, June 9th, 2020 AT 12:56 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
No, you most likely have the wrong radiator. Double check with the parts store to confirm

KHLOW2008
If you are changing a new hose, the hose would most likely be a very tight fit so you would need to slip it over, unless the difference is too much than as Roy mentioned, you have the wrong radiator.
GRIMSTA
  • 2000 CADILLAC DEVILLE
CAN 98 DEVILLE RADIATOR FIT ON A 2000 DEVILLE/?
FACTORYJACK
I would say that since there is a body style change between the years, that it wouldn't. The mounting is probably different, and I know that the transmission cooler would be different.
108295
  • 1999 CADILLAC DEVILLE
My car is not wanting to stay cool in park. When you drive it it stays around 203 F* but when its parked for not more then a minute it goes up to 220 or so then when you begin to drive it again it goes to around
197 F* I dont know whats causing the problem but we did remove the radiator a few weeks ago to get the alternator out.
FACTORYJACK
Do the cooling fans come on? They should come on lo speed at around 212. Do you get an engine overheating message, and is there adequate coolant in the system.
108295
RE: I dont know if the fans come on, 212 isnt hot enough to get a overheat message it would have to get to around 235 to be bad for the car. But yes there is a full antifreeze, I will check tommorow to see if the fans come on around 212.
108295
The fans are not turning on
FACTORYJACK
How about when you turn the A/C on, they should come on any time the compressor is engaged to facilitate airflow across the condenser.
MIKEG54
  • 1996 CADILLAC DEVILLE
How to remove a radiator
FACTORYJACK
Drain cooling system, disconnect trans cooler lines, remove and disconnect both cooling fans. Remove fasteners for radiator brackets, and possibly condenser to radiator. Radiator lifts out through the top, on the engine side of the core support.
+3

Sponsored links