OIL PAN LEAKING

1999 Cadillac Deville

Lou Procopio

March, 3, 2010 AT 2:30 PM

1999 Cadillac Deville V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 42,000 miles

I noticed a small amount of oil leaking from the bottom of the 4.6L V8 Northstar Engine. It has always had Synthetic Oil, and it was changed every 2000 miles (Documented) The car had been sitting for about one month when I noticed the leak. I took it in to my mechanic, he put a dye in the crankcase, and I brought it back the next day for a look see, and was advised it would cost $3,000. To replace the oil pan gasket because the trans and engine would have to be dropped to do the job. Sounds very high to me, what do you think.

factoryjack

March, 3, 2010 AT 9:44 PM

You more than likely were quoted to reseal the entire lower crankcase, and not just the oil pan. It does require frame and transmission removal, but the engine can remain suspended by a support fixture. The labor ranges around 19 hours, and depending on the shop rate, that can amount to around $1900 right there. It is a common location for this engine to leak, and there have been several revisions to the repair methods.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Corolla