CHANGE REAR BRAKE PADS

1995 Cadillac Deville

Bob Geisler

July, 18, 2009 AT 10:58 AM

Brakes problem
1995 Cadillac Deville V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

How do I change the rear Brake pads? Specifically, get the rear stablizing bar out of the way?

factoryjack

July, 19, 2009 AT 3:57 PM

You don't take the bar out. To just change the pads, remove the bottom caliper bolt(12mm), and the park brake cable bracket bolt(14mm). Rotate the caliper up on the slide pin, and the pads can be removed and replaced. You will need to turn the piston in to recover the clearance for the new pads.

Bob Geisler

July, 20, 2009 AT 8:08 AM

Must jack the car up. Place blocks under the main spring and let the jack down so that the car's weight is on the spring and that action rotates the stablizing bar down and out of the way of the emergency brake arm which is connected to the caliper. Then I am able to fully rotate the caliper up, so that the old pads can be removed.

factoryjack

July, 20, 2009 AT 10:52 PM

Sounds like you got it whipped. I usually perform the service on a hoist that lifts the body, and the suspension hangs.

Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Mercedes ML
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement Ford
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape