2003 CADILLAC CTS ENGINE TIMING

• Bmorin73
  • 2003 CADILLAC CTS

2003 Cadillac CTS 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 109650 miles

hello I have a 2003 cadillac cts with a 3.2 L v6 and recently had the serpentine belt shred up and after replacing it drove 5 minutes and the car died and after further diagnosing and scanning for codes I had a camshaft position sensor code that said out of range so I replaced it and nothing.I come to realize some strands of the serpentine belt walked in the timing belt cover and wrapped around the crankshaft sprocket and looks to have caused the timing belt to jump some teeth on the crankshaft sprocket. I reset the timing marks on the cover for the four cams and the crankshaft and the timing was way off so I replaced the timing belt and reset the marks and all looks well and there are no more codes at all. Now my question is could there be any internal damage to the valves or anything else that could cause it not to start at all because when I turn the car over it makes a strange whistle noise that sounds like a valve stuck open or something not normal

Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 1:32 PM

• James W.

When the belt let go you may have had valves "kissing" the tops of the pistons leading to a bent valve or two. A compression test will verify this. Also, are you sure you everything timed out right?

-1
Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 10:21 PM
  • Bmorin73

Yes I am near positive I set the timing right, the marks on timing cover and cams are matched along with the crankshaft mark all match up dead on the marks, the motor was making this same noise when it was off time before changing the belt so you are most likely right that the pistons and valves have kissed, I am going to run the compression test tomorrow and post the results to you. Thanks

+1
Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 11:10 PM
  • James W.

Yes, a comp test should tell you everything you need to know. Good luck.

Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 12:02 AM
  • Spiffy32283

I had the same exct issue with my 2003. I was wndering how u made out, my car guy seem to think I need new engine

Wednesday, January 26th, 2011 AT 7:27 PM
  • Bmorin73

Hey spiffy32283, it turned out that the valves and pistons had kissed and left multiple bent valves on each head so I replaced both heads and problem was solved so I recommend compression test on each cylinder as you might not need to replace both heads. Good luck with it

Wednesday, January 26th, 2011 AT 9:20 PM
  • Fraydog313

Hey bmorin73 I think the same thing happened to me! I gotta question for u my guy who works on the car said something about taking the heads off and rebuilding them by sending them to someone who shapes the heads is that likely to work or is replacing them the way to go and u said u replaced both heads the piston heads? Also y didn't my shop offer to replace the heads on them they say either rebuild it or junk the engin or even the whole car! I'm getting pressure test tomorrow please let me know what I need to do to get my car fixed I paid 12gs for this car last year and would hate to eat that cost! I want my motor fixed with out having to replace with a new one! Help! Get back to me asap thanks!

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 5:53 AM
  • Fraydog313

Please someone get back to me asap

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 5:54 AM
  • Bmorin73

Hey fraydog313 you can have the cylinder heads rebuilt but it will probably run several hundred dollars per head to rebuild which will work fine and probably the best option but I just bought a pair of heads from a salvage yard for $400 for a set and it worked out just fine. It wasnt the heads that was the original problem it jumped time cause the belt broke. It would be best to pull off both heads and visualy inspect them for bent valves and then replace if necessary

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 8:39 PM
  • Fraydog313

Ok that is what they will do. The com test proved that it is needing rebuilting! They say they can do a valve job for 3000$ or replace Engin for used 90k 5gs or new 7500$ man or they said they could put new cylinder heads on there! They haven't said if they could find used ones yet. I'll ask. But it's gonna cost from 3,000-8,000 if I can rebuild I can live with 3,000 but had car a year and paid 12gs it has 64k it was like new but j cannot junk it no way

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 9:06 PM
  • Fraydog313

Oh and my belt broke too and it jumped time as well by the way just two days ago! I hope it can be rebuilt cause what point of getting used motor and a new one is 7500

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 9:09 PM