DASH LIGHT WENT OFF NOT WORKING

2001 Cadillac Catera

ArsanVinny81

October, 20, 2010 AT 11:43 AM

2001 Cadillac Catera 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 108 miles

dear sir, I have a question and hopefully I get a help with it, I have my catera 2001 I was instaling after market radio in it and the car harnes didnt fit , so unfortintly my friend had to take off the harnes from car and just attach each wire color by color to the radio, the radio did work, but then I found out I lost my dash light, we did fix every thing later after and put the harnes back and the factory radio back, but still there is no dash light. I did check out the fuse box all look good not blown. Any idea whats the problim or were too look.? Thank you

factoryjack

October, 21, 2010 AT 11:59 PM

I would suspect that you blown a fuse, which fuse box did you check. If you talking box, and it was under the hood, it was probably the wrong one. The correct fuse panel, would be under the drivers side bolster, below the steering column.

ArsanVinny81

October, 22, 2010 AT 12:13 AM

Thank you sir for your information, and yes I did check the fuse box under the stearing calmn the one inside the car, and they all fine so iam wondering if its some thing internal in the dash or all the dash board light bulbs went bad together, iam sorry but its realy frustrating. Thank you sir

vinny

factoryjack

October, 24, 2010 AT 11:16 PM

In this particular case, is it just the instrument panel backlighting that is inoperative? What about the headlight switch, the drivers heated seat switch, hazard switch, and fuel door release switch. In fact, looking at the schematic, all switches are on the same circuit, anything that uses dimming. I would find it highly unlikely that all bulbs in the cluster went out, but if everything else on the circuit works, then you will need to dig into the cluster a bit and find out.

ArsanVinny81

October, 24, 2010 AT 11:21 PM

The lights on these buttons are off too on the gas and trunk and hazards button all of thim off, but the buttons are work only they are dark just like the dash there is not light at all , and I did bought new head light switch for it, and its still the same . So its dark all over inside the car

thank you for your information

factoryjack

October, 24, 2010 AT 11:44 PM

I would guess then that you have no power on the circuit. It is clamp 58 fuse #26 that I am showing. Power from there goes to the headlamp switch pin 1, a gray/green wire. From there it exits on pin 2, a gray/yellow wire, and goes to a splice where it splits everywhere. If fuse #26 is good, check also that there is power to and across it.

ArsanVinny81

October, 24, 2010 AT 11:46 PM

Thank you again and do you suggest thats some thing I can do my self or I should go to mechanic?

factoryjack

October, 25, 2010 AT 9:13 PM

Did you determine that that fuse is definately good, and it has power across it. If it doesn't that could suggest a power distribution issue further up the line. If it has power across it, then next would be to check power to and through the headlamp switch, and if it is on pin 2 out of the switch, then it would be circuit diagnosis. Which may or may not be within your capability. Tell me if that fuse has power across it, you can probe both sides of the fuse with a test light to ground. If the light lights on both sides, you have power on the circuit. One of the circuits from that splice goes to the radio for dimming, so you could have easily shorted it.

ArsanVinny81

October, 25, 2010 AT 9:15 PM

I will look into that tommorow and see where its gonna take me, but thank you again . I will get back to you tommorow

Thank you

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Saturn Vue
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement