ENGINE WILL NOT TURN OVER

1986 Cadillac Brougham

bigjessiec

August, 19, 2008 AT 10:01 PM

1986 Cadillac Brougham V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 86,000 miles

I cranked my car and put it in reverse to pull off. Car cut off which it usually does when not warm. Put car in park and attempted to restart car. Car would not turn over. Upon further inspection the starter was not disengaging. Took starter to have rebuilt and it was told nothing was wrong with the starter. Still had the solenoid replaced. Put starter on and the motor would not turn over. The starter would hit but not turn. So I was able to turn the flywheel by hand just to make sure the motor was not locked up. I need help with diagnosing the cause instead of having to replace main bearings.

Jacobandnickolas

November, 17, 2008 AT 8:52 PM

Hi: If the soleniod is kicking in, the starter should work. It sounds like there is a field winding or brush problem within the starter. I would recommend you remove the starter, take it to a parts store and have it bench tested.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011