Cabin air filter

ST3
  • 2013 GMC SIERRA
This is and SLT version. Does it have a cabin air filter and if so how do I change the cabin air filter?
Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 AT 5:09 AM

Our manual does not show cabin filters, auto parts sell them even though manufacturers do not put them in. They did for a while but stopped.
+1
Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 AT 7:22 AM
ST3
Thanks. The dealer's service manger who knows me read off the screen that it was due. Some of the simple things I do so I went to their parts counter to order one. That took two tries and then he sent me to the local Chevrolet dealer with their wholesale price on the card as it was in stock. I then started to try and find out how to install it and I cannot find anything on how to on this year truck, years before or newer models are there and I have seen some comments that my truck does not have one. I appreciate your quick response. Any suggestion on where to get OEM parts (like an engine air filter) online? Thanks again.
Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 AT 9:31 AM
Gmpartsdirect. Com for OE parts they ship to your house cheaper than a dealer.
+1
Wednesday, November 30th, 2016 AT 12:12 PM
ST3
Thank you for your help. After going to the dealer today for an oil and filter change, I am told that all 2013 GMC Sierra 1500's have cabin air filters- none. Whatever GM's calculus is, my fan is just wide open to particulates. I was told though that I could have the service tech (or I could do it which is way above my pay grade) cut out a plastic section of the blower frame component and put in my own filter along with a separate bracket to hold it. I was advised to not have this done or for me to do it. My question to the service advisor was what else was left off of my truck to save money that could be installed later at additional expense? I did not expect nor got an answer on that. I'd just rather buy the filters and replace them as needed and prolong the fans life but that's just me. Thank you very much for your help. I took my cabin air filter back to the other dealer across the street and exchanged it for an air filter for the motor which I KNOW i'll need!
Thursday, December 1st, 2016 AT 8:50 AM
Well they never used cabin filters for years and it has no effect on the motor one way or another just to keep big particles of dust and leaves out if they get in there. They should have never started then quit doing this. If you went to gmparts direct. Com and looked they may have the kit available which probably includes instructions if you are intent on doing it. There are plenty of competent mechanics in local garages that do just as good of work as dealers and don't charge as high.
+1
Thursday, December 1st, 2016 AT 12:11 PM