95 80000 MILES ABS AND TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT

2012 Buick Riviera

mattin

May, 13, 2006 AT 11:25 AM

The antilock brakelight is on and it has brake fluid what do I check next? Also the traction control light is on

losone

May, 13, 2006 AT 1:05 PM

The ABS light is caused by an ABS compontent failure. The code needs to read by a computer an ABS scanner. When you have an ABS failure the traction control no longer works.

With the ABS light on your brakes return to normal power brakes. Good luck

Parksie

May, 15, 2006 AT 8:04 AM

I had a similar problem with my 1995 Grand Prix, and the solution had nothing to do with the ABS system at all.

Do you also find sometimes that things like signal lights don't operate as fast, or headlights are occasionally dimmer than normal?

On my car (3100 engine) there is an auxiliary terminal used for jump-starting that is connected to one of the fuse panels. This particular panel contols, among other things, ABS, turn signals, headlights and the ignition system. On my car, the connection from the terminal cable into this fuse box was loose, which caused all manner of problems - lack of voltage was stalling the car, cutting the ABS out, slowing signal lights and so on. Eventually, the terminal overheated and melted. I replaced the terminal (which can be unbolted from the fuse box) and tightened down the connection, and the problem is gone.

If you have such a setup, double check that all electrical contacts are clean and tightened down. It's a no-cost solution to a very irritating problem.

ABS Computer Replacement
Wonder How Traction Control Works?