2003 Buick Regal Poor acceleration

RAPPELLMASTER87
  • 2003 BUICK REGAL
The car recently has had a fuel filter, spark plug, wires and one coil pack replaced due to a code which shows a misfire on no.1 spark plug. The poor acceleration symptom went away and now it's back. It feels like the motor its starving for fuel and I have to depress the accelerator way down to the floor to achieve the desired speed. I purchased a fuel pressure regulator and I am about to instal it, but how do I know its not the fuel pressure regulator and its something else. Without a code, I don't want to chase a problem that does not exist.
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 8:49 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

Please let me know if your model is a GS or LS. Also your engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN.

Also, I know you had the code, but do you remember what the code number was?

For now, please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

Are you sure you are getting a good strong spark? If not, we need to figure out if it is electrical or fuel related. Pull a plug wire off of the spark plug and insert something into the end of it and have someone try to start the car and have the metal object really close to a piece of metal on the engine and see if you are getting a good strong popping blue spark. Don't have your hands on any part of the metal! If there is no spark, then it is electrical.

If you are getting good spark then spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and try to start it and see if it tries to start then.

I wouldn't change the pressure regulator yet. If you pull the vacuum hose on yours, is there fuel in it?

You may need to get a fuel pressure check on the fuel pump to ensure it is putting out okay. We will see.
Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 10:21 PM