1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Properly disable the SIR system
3. Make sure the ignition is in the OFF position.
When carrying a live air bag, make sure the bag and trim cover are pointed away from the body. In the unlikely event of an accidental deployment, the bag will then deploy with minimal chance of injury. In addition, when placing a live air bag on a bench or other surface. Always face the bag and the trim cover up, away from the surface. This will reduce the chance of personal injury if it is accidently deployed.
4. Remove the air bag inflator module, as follows:
A. Loosen the bolts or screws from the back of the steering wheel, using the proper Torx driver, until the inflatable restraint module can be released from the steering wheel.
B. While pulling the module away from the steering wheel, detach the SIR coil electrical connector and remove the retainer from the module.
C. Remove the horn and ground lead from the steering column.
5. Scribe an alignment mark on the steering wheel hub in line with the slash mark on the steering shaft.
6. Loosen the steering wheel nut, positioning it flush with the end of the shaft.
7. Assembly steering wheel puller J 1859-03 or equivalent, on the steering wheel hub with two 5 / 16 -18x4 in. Bolts. Break the steering wheel loose from the shaft.
8. Remove the steering wheel puller.
9. Remove the steering shaft nut.
10. Remove the steering wheel from the vehicle.
11. Route the SIR connector through the steering wheel.
12. Align the scribe mark on the steering wheel with the slash mark on the steering shaft and install the steering wheel.
13. Install the steering shaft nut and tighten to 30 ft. Lbs. (41 Nm).
14. Install the air bag inflator module, as follows:
A. Connect the horn and ground lead to the column assembly.
B. Attach the SIR coil assembly electrical connector and retainer to the module.
C. Secure the SIR coil assembly electrical connector to the steering wheel assembly by inserting the thick section of wire into the existing retainer.
D. Position the air bag inflator module to the steering wheel. Make sure the wiring is not exposed or trapped between the inflatable restraint module and the steering wheel assembly.
E. Install the retaining bolts/screws. Tighten to 25 inch lbs. (2.8 Nm).
15. Connect the negative battery cable, then enable the SIR system
Wednesday, April 28th, 2010 AT 1:17 PM