BATTERY GAUGE/TRANSMISSION

1991 Buick Park Avenue

treymotty

May, 9, 2009 AT 8:39 AM

1991 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 73000 miles

I have a 91 park avenue (about 73k miles), the battery gauge goes in the red zone all the way to the right, and when that happens it seems like the car stays in the same gear and won't shift up or down when I brake or accelerate. Any advice on what to do?

Zackman

May, 10, 2009 AT 5:22 PM

Start by getting the vehicle to your local auto parts store such as CSK/O'Reilly or Autozone, and have them check you electrical system: battery, starter and alternator. I suspect that your alternator is over-charging, and most system won't work properly with too much voltage.

treymotty

May, 10, 2009 AT 6:03 PM

Thanks but now its changed. Now the battery gauge is on the negative side nearly in the red zone with the red light staying on all the time. So does this mean I may need to get a new battery?

Zackman

May, 10, 2009 AT 8:50 PM

Not battery. You still have problem with the alternator circuit. If the alternator is new, make sure that the belt is tight, the connector and cable are tightly attached, battery terminals are tight, and the fuses are good.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_91parkavealt_1.jpg

I would go back to the place that you got the alternator, and have them check the entire electrical system again.

treymotty

May, 10, 2009 AT 11:22 PM

Ok thanks for the help, il go first thing in the morning. Looks like I already need a jump, it already has drained the battery.

Zackman

May, 11, 2009 AT 9:56 PM

Let us know what you find out.

treymotty

May, 20, 2009 AT 9:44 PM

Ok I finally got it fixed. It was just the altenator. Thanks for the help

Zackman

May, 22, 2009 AT 1:24 AM

Not a problem.

Alternator Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Alternator testing done right
Alternator Replacement Ford Super Duty
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon