Wheel hop during acceleration

DOGO88
  • BUICK LESABRE
I have a 1999 Buick LeSabre Limited, 3800 engine, with 95k miles. I've had the wheels balanced a few months ago to remove a high speed shimmy and that seemed to fix that problem. Recently during mild acceleration I get what feels like wheel hop. If I back off a bit or just accelerate with less power no hop. Once rolling, if I floor the accelerator, no wheel hop. Could this be a strut issue? When should they be replaced? Nothing else feels loose or broken in the front end.
Saturday, March 3rd, 2007 AT 4:18 PM

2004BUICK
I had a 98 Lesabre with the same issue. It had to do with the traction control limiting wheel-spin. Even when I turned it off I still got the wheel hop.

Nothing I could do about it. Kind of an older traction control that was way too sensitive.
Tuesday, March 20th, 2007 AT 2:16 PM
DOGO88
Turns out it was the pressure control solenoid in the transmission. Had my dealer replace it. Not cheap, but works fine now.
Tuesday, March 20th, 2007 AT 4:56 PM