Windshield wipers not working

TALLCAPER
  • 2001 BUICK LESABRE

Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic 120,000 miles.

Brand new owner of this car so I have no past history. Got the car home and no wipers working at all, any thoughts? Also the airbag light is on, as well as the service engine light. With the service engine light would you lean towards emission/oxygen sensors more on this, or should I have it hooked on to a code reader?
Thanks.

Wednesday, November 11th, 2009 AT 7:41 PM

As far as the wipers, check to see if you are getting power to the wiper motor.

As for the check engine light, have the computer scanned at a nationally recognized parts store. Most will do it for free.

Let me know what you find.

Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 9:46 AM
TALLCAPER

Changed the wiper motor with one from a junk yard, all positions work properly but when you turn them off altogether there is a twenty second pause then they come back on and wipe every four seconds until you turn off the motor. I was told causally that it could be the wrong motor all together even though it fits perfectly.
On the engine lights I am waiting to borrow a code reader to see what is doing.

-1
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 AT 5:07 PM
BRITERZ
  • 2003 BUICK LESABRE
  • MERGED

There was a big snowstorm, and then my windshield wipers would not work properly. They only twitch when I turn them on. I tried to tighten the screw, but that only made them move less. What is wrong with them, and is it possible to fix them myself?

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
FACTORYJACK
  • MERGED

With the caps off that cover the pivot, are the shafts moving but just not the arms? If the shafts move, the arms are stripped which is common when the wipers are used in snow.

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
OTISA
  • 2003 BUICK LESABRE
  • MERGED

Windshield wipers will not work, but motors okay.

+1
Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
  • MERGED

Are you getting power to the wiper motor? Have you checked fuses?

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
JIMBO59
  • 1993 BUICK LESABRE
  • MERGED

Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic 132,000 miles.

Started car covered in ice and did not know wiper switch was on! Checked fuses, okay. Checked for power to the wiper motor none. Does it use a relay and where is it? Or is there a circuit breaker hiding under the dash somewhere? The washers stopped working too.
Thanks for the information.
Jim

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
ZACKMAN
  • MERGED

No circuit breaker, just one fuse 25A. Try this diagnostic.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_93lesabrewiper1_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_93lesabrewiper2_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_93lesabrewiper3_1.jpg

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
JIMBO59
  • MERGED

Thank you Zackman for the information on the Buick, I will use
it and get back to you.
Jim

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
ZACKMAN
  • MERGED

Any time.

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
JCLOWREY
  • 2004 BUICK LESABRE
  • MERGED

Wipers not working suddenly
Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 50,000 miles.

Windshield wipers suddenly do not work. In above category, I guessed it was electrical.

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

What model lesabre do you have?

-1
Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM
POOH975
  • 2003 BUICK LESABRE
  • MERGED

They stop working. Can you tell me the problem?

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:25 PM
  • MERGED

Do you mean stand beside the car and psychically determine what is wrong? You will have to hold your computer closer to the car. (We used to say "hold your phone closer to your tv so we can see what it's doing!)

Have you done any testing or diagnosis? If so, what were the results? If not, start with the basics. Check for blown fuses under the hood and inside the car. From there you will need a live person to determine what's working and what is not. For example, if there is a relay for the wiper motor, is it clicking on? If it is not, do not expect the motor to run. The problem is before that, and a good suspect is the switch and associated wiring. If the relay does click, you know the switch is working and you would work toward the motor. On a car this new there's going to be a body computer involved too. A common clue is if the computer is at fault, typically the wipers will still work in the slow or fast modes but not in delay mode.

You can also check for a bad ground on the motor. There is a metal strap riveted to the mounting plate to ground it because it's mounted on insulating rubber bushings to isolate vibration. Sometimes that strap arcs under the head of the bolt where you cannot see it. To test for that, use a test light grounded to the battery negative post or engine block, then touch the test probe to the metal case of the wiper motor or the metal plate it is mounted to, then turn the wiper and ignition switches on. The test light should not light up. If it does, attaching a separate ground wire is the easiest repair. I can tell you how to do that if it proves to be necessary.

-2
Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 4:25 PM