ENGINE CHUGGING WHILE DRIVING

2001 Buick Lesabre

Michbowhunter

August, 6, 2007 AT 8:01 PM

95,662 miles on 3800 engine. Service engine soon light is on. During winter months noticed a chug while accelerating once in a while. I hooked up a computer scanner(Snap-On) found no codes. However, I noticed that the EGRvalve had no voltage output regardless of engine RPM. Now it is summer(A/C on) Severe chugging during acceleration during each and every accelleration. I suspect the EGR valve. But at the cost of $300 would like to be quite certain. Could a clogged catalystic converter cause this?

Cly

August, 6, 2007 AT 8:35 PM

You say that there is a service engine soon light on now? What code are yo geting out of the PCM?

Cly

Michbowhunter

August, 6, 2007 AT 8:58 PM

Being an aircraft mechanic. Not sure what PCM is. But there were no codes when the scanner was hooked up. Even though the EGR valve showed no voltage output. No code was shown for it.

Cly

August, 7, 2007 AT 5:12 AM

The PCM is the powertrain contro module. It seems strange that the service engine soon light is on and no codes are in the computer. The EGR valve will usually cause a rough idle if stuck open and affect gas mileage if it is stuck shut. I would lean more towards and ignition problem.

Cly

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro