1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Place a drain pan under the vehicle.
3. Remove the tire and wheel assemblies.
CAUTION: Failure to disconnect the intermediate shaft from the rack and pinion stub shaft can result in damage to the steering gear and/or intermediate shaft. This damage can cause loss of steering control which could result in personal injury.
NOTE: Set steering shaft so the block tooth on the upper steering shaft is at the 12 o'clock position, the wheels on the vehicle are straight ahead and set the ignition switch to the LOCK position. Failure to follow these procedures could result in damage to the coil.
NOTE: The wheels of the vehicle must be straight ahead and the steering column in the LOCK position before disconnecting the steering column or intermediate shaft from the steering gear. Failure to do so will cause the SIR coil assembly to become uncentered, which may cause damage to the coil assembly.
4. Remove the lower pinch bolt from the power steering gear stub shaft (2).
5. Insert J 42640 into the steering column access hole in order to lock the steering column. This will maintain the correct orientation.
6. Remove the intermediate steering shaft (1) from the power steering gear stub shaft (2).
7. Remove both of the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles.
8. Support the rear of the frame (3) using jackstands.
9. Remove the frame bolts from the rear of the frame. Refer to Frame Replacement .
NOTE: Do not lower the rear of the frame too far as damage to the engine components nearest to the cowl may result.
10. Lower the rear of the frame (3).
11. Remove the power steering pressure hose from the power steering gear.
12. Remove the power steering return hose from the power steering gear.
13. Remove the Magnasteer Variable Assist electrical connector from the power steering gear assembly, if equipped with variable effort steering.
14. Remove the power steering gear mounting bolts and nuts (1, 4).
15. Remove the power steering gear through the left wheel opening.
Did you confirm that the rack is faulty and requires replacement?