PARK AVENUE BACK FIRI

1990 Buick Electra

mark mark

May, 17, 2010 AT 11:01 AM

1990 Buick Electra 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 95000 miles

i have backfiring, and no power when I push the gas. The backfiring can happen at anytime under any tempurature or weather condition. It goes away as fast as it comes. I changed the plugs and wires, same issue. I can drive for hours before the backfiring ocurs, OR I can drive fro 30 seconds and it appears. Sometimes I have to restart my car 30 times before it goes away, other times the next start it runs fine. Thinking ignition pack. When I changed the plugs, I tested for spark by putting the plug in the wire and touching metal. I had an orange spark from each one, but I figure since the issue is intermittant, I tested at a good running time. (I also read the spark should be white, but I guess a spark is a spark?) But before I spend that cash, I would like some help. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

hmac300

May, 31, 2010 AT 3:28 PM

From your description i'd have the car checked for aabad timing chain. Especially since you stated that you have to try to start it 30 times before it will. Have a pro check it as you can check compression as well as where the rotor points when it's on #1. If you have the plastic intake manifold, the backfiring is bad because the manifold can blow apart and cause a fire.

Spark Plug Replacement Honda Element
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230