A few issues with 98 Buick Century

BUICKOWNER39
  • 1998 BUICK CENTURY
Make: Buick
Model: Century
Year: 1998
Miliage: 183 000 kms
Engine size: 3.1L

My car has a couple of problems, first off my ABS light is always on. I don't know if it is supposed to be like that, maybe its telling you they are working I'm not sure I never had the owners manual. The "security" warning comes on periodically which I have no idea what that means but if you turn the car off and on again in usually goes away. The parking brake notification light (possibly used for something else as well I don't know) will come on once in a while, the car makes a "gurgling" noise in the engine compartment right before it happens but this light also only comes on periodically and will go away when the car is shut off then started again. And finally, there is a vibration that sounds like it is coming from the right front. You cant really feel it when you are driving, its just noise that gets worse the faster you go. It also gets worse the more you turn the steering wheel to the right but pretty much completely disappears when the steering wheel is turned to the left.
All and any help is greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, July 11th, 2007 AT 10:42 PM

SDCUNEO
If it was the door ajar switch, that would mean that when you open the door, the interior lights and the "Door Ajar" dash light AND "chime" would not go off.

This is not the case. Every door, when opened (even individually), signals the "Door Ajar" light and chime the way it's supposed to.
Thursday, July 12th, 2007 AT 3:09 PM
SDCUNEO
I had noticed that once before I seen that on the side that the seatbelt does work on, when you push the button on the door jamb to turn off the interior lights, it does not recall the seatbelt.

I really have no clue in to how the seatbelt knows when to retract itself?
Thursday, July 12th, 2007 AT 3:12 PM
SDCUNEO
Yep. The door ajar light, along with the interior lights, comes on with the front passenger door ONLY open.
Friday, July 13th, 2007 AT 7:22 PM
SDCUNEO
Ok, so i've removed the glove box, and only to come to find out I have no idea what this "Restraint Module" looks like? And where exactly it is located? (Up/down/left/right and behind the glove box?)

im not even sure what it does?
Saturday, July 14th, 2007 AT 11:34 PM
SDCUNEO
Ok, just to make sure about this so I dont do anything that I will soon regret.

I found a black box behind and mounted above my glove box, and what looked to be, I think, 2 connectors with, what I think is, about 8 wires on each connector. One connector is grey, and the other is black.

I just want to make sure that this is infact the restraint module? And that I disconnect and reconnect both or either or the connectors?

As I had noticed that when I found it, I was looking back in there and poking around just a bit with my hands, that when I started my car, the seat belt light on my dash was flashing. Normally, that light just stays on instead of flashing when my lap belt isn't fastened. And even then it goes off after a little bit.

But this light just keeps flashing no matter what. And I have noticed that when I open (any) door(s) when its running, it goes off and once the door is closed, it goes back on flashing again. So there's gotta be some kind of connection between all this right?
Sunday, July 15th, 2007 AT 8:15 PM
SDCUNEO
I got the placement screws off of it, and when I disconnected the 2 connectors, the seatbelt light quit flashing alltogether.

Also, the driver side seatbelt (which does work) didn't move when the it's door was opened/closed.

But I did disconnect and reconnect both of them and the passenger auto seatbelt still does not work.

And all the wires do infact look to be fully seated into the connecter and looks like it should be functional.

I guess this means the module is bad?
And if it is, where in the world would I find another one?
Monday, July 16th, 2007 AT 4:01 PM
SDCUNEO
Alrighty, thanks a bunch!
Monday, July 16th, 2007 AT 6:15 PM
SDCUNEO
Well, I took a ride to a junkyard and found the exact part that matches it exactly, and replaced it and hooked it up only to find out that it still doesn't work. The driver side still works but the passenger side still does not work.
Friday, July 20th, 2007 AT 4:55 PM
SDCUNEO
That sounds like it very well could be the culprit.
When I first got the car, I pulled both of those levers, trying them out, etc. And nothing happened with either of the seatbelts.

And I really need to clean down there anyway, seeing how theres a bunch of coins and old food, and who knows what else!
Saturday, July 21st, 2007 AT 10:53 AM
SDCUNEO
Alright, after a bit of menuevering and a lot of time, I got the center console out and took a look down in there. I disconnected the wire the the red light that comes on on the console when the lever is raised. And disconnected this other wire what looked like it came from the lever mechanism.

Anyway, long story short, I reconnected those 2 wires, sprayed some wd-40 on the mechanism and a few other places as well (it couldn't huirt) and reassembled the console and yet again, only to find out that it still didn't do anything for the seatbelt.

One other thing, I tested both of the levers after I was done, and, just like before, neither of the seatbelts were phased by the levers.
Saturday, July 21st, 2007 AT 7:13 PM
SDCUNEO
I know what you're talkin about, but i'm not sure on how to check to make sure they are working.

But are you sure that it's not possible that when the a.C. Was worked on, that a wire may have been cut or disconnected and never reconnected? I mean, after taking all that apart, i've seen the different parts and where the wires are routed through. And so far you've helped me troubleshoot everything. And the only thing I can see that's left is the wiring. And if I take out the dash, and see that it's not the wiring, I don't know whether to just forget about it or take it to a shop.
Saturday, July 21st, 2007 AT 8:39 PM
SDCUNEO
Yeah I did that. I haven't done anything that you haven't told me.

I was talking about my grandma had the a.C. Worked on and they took out the dash to do it. This was a few years before I even got this car.
Sunday, July 22nd, 2007 AT 2:02 AM
SDCUNEO
Well I do, just not much, lol.

Now what exactly is the "A-pillar trim"?
Sunday, July 22nd, 2007 AT 2:41 AM
SDCUNEO
If im interpreting thins correctly, then what it is, is actually not the dash. It's just a part of the interior trim?

And if that's so. Then that means, i've taken that off plenty of times before. That thing just reveals the track in which the seatbelt is guided through.
Sunday, July 22nd, 2007 AT 4:04 AM