Windshield wipers not working

ELMERKETRON
  • 1999 BUICK CENTURY
My car's wipers previously only working on high, now passenger wiper not working at all. What would this be, and is this something that I can repair without taking it to shop?
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 9:22 PM

JALOPYPAPA
If the driver's side works and the other does not, the rods connecting the two sides have come apart or broken, or maybe the wiper arm is not turning with its shaft. Pull the wiper arms off their shafts and remove the screws holding the cowling between the windshield and the hood. You will have to pull the little washer fluid hoses off, too. Under the cowl you will see the linkage and once you activate the wipers you will be able to see where it is disconnected. The fact that it works only on high may also indicate other problems with the motor or circuitry. You will see the motor over on the driver's side firewall and how it turns a crank inside the firewall connected to the linkage.
Wednesday, January 7th, 2009 AT 12:17 PM
20WHEELER
  • 1998 BUICK CENTURY
Wipers do not turn off correctly when turned off
Six cylinder front wheel drive automatic 116,000 miles.

Odometer and gear light does not work, bulb? Before completely out did come on after driving a few miles for a week or two.
Wiper does not shutdown correctly when turned off. It will usually stop in opposite direction, up or open on the windshield.
Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 3:32 PM (Merged)
BLACKOP555
First we will deal with the wipers. Have someone grabbed ahold of them when you turned on the blades? How bout heavy snow build up? When did you notice this happen?

Your vehicle has been known to have recalls on its year and model. Talk to the dealership and see if they have a kid for it to prevent that.
20WHEELER
No snow. When turned off 90% of the time wipers stop in vertical position, 5% of the time they stop in the down position but do not retract and 5% of the time they stop and close properly. I think it is the motor.
BLACKOP555
If thats the case it could indeed be the motor. You can try taking it apart and examining it to look for any signs of wear before replacing it. Or you could just replace it. I suggest a junk yard because a motor is pretty expensive
DSIMMS
  • 1998 BUICK CENTURY
Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic

The driver side wiper works fine, but the passenger wiper does not work. I bought new wipers, and had someone at the oil change shop fix it. After a while it just stopped working on its own. What can be the problem?
Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 3:33 PM (Merged)
JALOPYPAPA
Pull wiper arms off their posts, remove seven mm and Phillips headed screws holding on the cowl below the windshield. You will find the linkage to the passenger side wiper broken or loose.