1998 BUICK CENTURY GRINDING WHEN ANTI-LOCKS BRAKE SYSTEM EB

• stu padas
  • 1998 Buick Century

Brakes problem
1998 Buick Century 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

When I put the car in gear, forward or reverse, it makes a clunk noise. When it snowed last I applied the brakes and the anti-lock brake system kicked in and it made a terrible grinding noise.
Is it the wheel bearing assembly?
Not a clue yet because I have not looked yet. Wanted to get ideas before I go there. Better to arm myself with knowledge before looking.
No error codes coming on for ABS system on dash either

Thursday, March 4th, 2010 AT 1:29 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

The abs will make a lot of noise when it is actuated. Chances are that isn't the problem. As far as the noise you hear, check motor mounts / trans mounts to make sure they are good.

Let me know.

Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 1:32 PM
  • stu padas

Thanks but this is not making normal ABS noise. Worked on my own brakes for over 20 years and never heard this before. It sounds like a loose tooth getting banged around by other teeth. That's why I asked about hub assembly. Could be the axle spindle at hub assembly end? When I apply brakes on slippery road the ABS kicks in and works/sounds fine on passenger side but on driver side it makes that sound like a gear throwing a piece of metal around(kinda like trying to switch gears and grinding instead.). When, from park, putting it in forward or reverse it makes a clunk sound on the same side, not sure if they are related.

Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 1:38 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Okay. I would think a wheel bearing would make noises all of the time, but that doesn't mean it isn't bad. The other item I question is the stator. If it is loose or the sensor is loose, the two could be hitting under a hard start. Check those things and let me know. And yes, it could be the bearing.

Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 8:08 PM
  • stu padas

Thanks for the info.
Will be checking it tomorrow and will let you know what I find out.

Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 8:48 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

I look forward to hearing from you.

Friday, March 12th, 2010 AT 8:57 PM