Brake drum removal

JIMMY SHULTZ
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
I need to replace the wheel cylinder on the drivers side, but I cannot get the drum off. Every other vehicle I have done brakes on has an access to loosen the adjuster with the exception of this one. In the place where there should be a removable rubber cap there is a solid piece of metal secured from the inside. I called my local Dodge dealership and their service manager told me to instead use the threaded holes on the front of the drum to push the drum off, yet another feature not included in my truck. The only other option I know of is to cut the heads off of the bolts that hold the shoes in place, but I do not want to damage the adjuster or the parking brake.

Please help
Thursday, August 18th, 2016 AT 3:21 PM

Cutting the heads of those "nails" won't hurt anything else. I just wish I was there because I have hundreds of those nails from unused parts in the spring kits. Many kits come with two or three nails of different lengths because they are used with shoes of various widths. At the mileage you listed, it is prudent to replace the return springs, so you will need the hardware kit anyway, but if you do not want to go that route, you might find some nails from a friendly mechanic, especially one at the dealership. I had box full of them in my tool box for this exact reason.

That metal plate you are referring to sounds like a stamped slot. Those are supposed to be pounded out with a hammer and punch, then you put those rubber plugs in later.
Thursday, August 18th, 2016 AT 3:48 PM
Maybe this is available to you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/three-jaw-puller-set-3-pc-69105.html

Cheap, but so what if you destroy one or your pal do not return one! I like this store a lot!

The drum should be easy to pull on.

Once you get it moving, try to twist the drum to jump over the ridge in the drum.

If you really get down on it, you might warp or distort the drum or chew up the edge of the shoe.

Let us know how this works out

The Medic
Thursday, August 18th, 2016 AT 3:50 PM