Brake Calipers being reused after accident

CHUCK451
  • 2010 JEEP WRANGLER
This is more of a question of how something may happened. My vehicle was struck on the left rear, It was hit on the body, the wheel was destroyed and the rear end was bent. My question is, the brake caliper on that side, which has that plastic, bake-o-lite type material for a piston, was reused since it has no signs of visible damage. Could the piston inside the caliper have taken enough shock from the hit to that side but still function and could it eventually break apart inside? I have been told that the piston would have taken some serious shock and you may not see visible signs of fracture since it is not completely visible and they have been known to fail after an accident of this nature. It is making some noise in that area but you cannot see a problem.
Saturday, October 22nd, 2016 AT 8:01 AM

All I can say if the wheel took a big hit then something had to happen to caliper and should have been changed, but insurance companies do things as cheaply as possible. Whether it could break or not would to me be a freak thing to happen if it has not already. If the rear end was bent check wheel and wheel bearing because you do not know where old rear end came from nor how it was used. I would think that would be problem more than brake, but if unsure replace the caliper as well.
Saturday, October 22nd, 2016 AT 11:44 AM
CHUCK451
Well, the rear end was replaced and everything else seems to be OK, the fact that we heard noise come from that side after the repair makes me think the caliper was damaged during the wreck and held up but was sticking and that was the noise but I am thinking the piston had fractures that was not easily seen since most of it is hidden inside the caliper. It makes sense that the damage on that side is a good reason why the caliper on that side came apart but of course since the problem did not occur at the time of the wreck, then it was normal wear and tear.
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 7:27 AM
KEN
It would be difficult for the caliper itself to make noise, the caliper mount or the brake pads have a better chance of being the problem. When does the noise occur and what does it sounds like?
Wednesday, October 26th, 2016 AT 10:03 AM