Rear brake pad and rotor (shoe and drum) replacement instructions please?

MEHMOOOD
  • 2013 TOYOTA COROLLA
When I apply the brakes slowly a sound like flap, flap can hear the rear brakes grinding so I need to do brakes.
Monday, November 13th, 2017 AT 6:28 AM

KASEKENNY1
Yes. If you are hearing the grinding noise when applying the brakes then more then likely these are either the warning tabs in the pads or they are worn out. Either way, you need to replace them. Here are a couple guides that help with this: This video shows the job being done on a similar car but the process is the same.

https://youtu.be/7a-scFGaYT0

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-rear-brake-pads-and-rotors

Below are the instructions from the manual on how to remove and install the rear pads and rotors. Let's run through this material and let me know if you have questions. Thanks
Wednesday, March 3rd, 2021 AT 7:50 AM
ZAHIT-MERSIN
  • 2010 TOYOTA COROLLA
Brakes makes noise during driving I need rear brakes?
Wednesday, March 17th, 2021 AT 5:32 PM (Merged)
Hi,

replacing the rear brake pads and rotors really isn't too hard of a job. when you get the new parts, make sure to purchase lifetime replacement parts so you don't have to pay for them ever again.

first, here is a link that shows in general how it is done:

here are the directions specific to your vehicle. the attached pics correlate with the directions.

remove parking brake lever protector [ parking brake: parking brake cable (for rear disc brake): removal+ ]
disconnect no. 3 parking brake cable assembly
disengage the clamp from the no. 3 parking brake cable assembly.

remove the bolt.
separate the no. 3 parking brake cable assembly from the rear disc brake cylinder assembly.

hint:

insert an offset wrench (14 mm) at the base of the no. 3 parking brake cable assembly as shown in the illustration to disengage the clip. pull out the no. 3 parking brake cable assembly from the rear disc brake cylinder assembly.

separate rear brake flexible hose
remove the union bolt and gasket, and separate the rear brake flexible hose from the rear disc brake cylinder assembly.

remove rear disc brake cylinder assembly
hold the rear disc brake slide pin and remove the 2 bolts and rear disc brake cylinder assembly.

remove rear disc brake pad
remove the 2 disc brake pads from the rear disc brake cylinder mounting.

remove rear disc brake anti-squeal shim
remove the 4 anti-squeal shims from each brake pad.
remove rear disc brake pad support plate
remove the rear disc brake pad support plate (upper) and rear disc brake pad support plate (lower) from the disc brake cylinder mounting.

notice:

each rear disc brake pad support plate has a different shape. be sure to put an identification mark on each rear disc brake pad support plate so that it can be installed to its original position.

remove rear disc brake pad guide pin
remove the 2 rear disc brake pad guide pins from the disc brake cylinder mounting.

remove rear disc brake bushing dust boot
remove the 2 rear disc brake bushing dust boots from the rear disc brake cylinder mounting.

remove rear disc brake cylinder mounting
remove the 2 bolts and the rear disc brake cylinder mounting from the axle beam.

remove rear disc
remove the rear disc.

hint:

place matchmarks on the disc and axle hub.

notice:

when replacing the disc with a new one, select the installation position where the rear disc has minimal runout.

install rear disc brake cylinder mounting
install the rear disc brake cylinder mounting to the axle beam with the 2 bolts.

torque : 63 nm (642 kgf-cm, 46 ft-lbf)

install rear disc brake bushing dust boot
apply a light layer of lithium soap base glycol grease to the entire circumference of 2 new rear disc brake bushing dust boots.

hint:

apply at least 0.3 g (0.01 oz.) of lithium soap base glycol grease to each rear disc brake bushing dust boot.

install the 2 rear disc brake bushing dust boots to the rear disc brake cylinder mounting.

install rear disc brake pad guide pin
apply a light layer of lithium soap base glycol grease to the sliding and sealing surfaces of the 2 rear disc brake pad guide pins.

install the 2 rear disc brake pad guide pins to the rear disc brake cylinder mounting.

install rear disc brake pad support plate
install the 2 rear disc brake pad support plates to the rear disc brake cylinder mounting.

notice:

be sure to install each rear disc brake pad support plate in the correct position and direction.

install rear disc brake anti-squeal shim
apply disc brake grease to the 2 no. 1 anti-squeal shims.

install the no. 1 anti-squeal shim and no. 2 anti-squeal shim to each brake pad.
notice:

when replacing worn pads, the anti-squeal shims must be replaced together with the pads.
apply disc brake grease to the area that contacts the anti-squeal shim.
disc brake grease may seep out slightly from the areas where the anti-squeal shims are installed.
make sure that disc brake grease is not applied onto the lining surface.
install rear disc brake pad
install the 2 rear disc brake pads to the rear disc brake cylinder mounting.

notice:

there should be no oil or grease on the friction surfaces of the disc brake pads or the rear disc.

install rear disc brake cylinder assembly
to compensate for pad wear when reusing the pad, use sst to push and turn the piston (lh side: counterclockwise, rh side: clockwise) to the position where the protrusion on the pad lines up properly with the piston groove.
sst : 09960-10010

notice:

place the disc between the 2 brake pads and determine the piston return value.

hold the rear disc brake cylinder slide pin, and install the rear disc brake cylinder assembly to the rear disc brake cylinder mounting with the 2 bolts.

torque : 35 nm (357 kgf-cm, 26 ft-lbf)

connect rear brake flexible hose
connect the flexible hose to the rear disc brake cylinder assembly with the union bolt and a new gasket.

torque : 29 nm (296 kgf-cm, 21 ft-lbf)

hint:

install the flexible hose lock securely into the lock hole in the disc brake cylinder.

connect no. 3 parking brake cable assembly
install the no. 3 parking brake cable assembly to the rear disc brake cylinder assembly lh.

hint:

be sure to engage the no. 3 parking brake cable assembly clip onto the rear disc brake cylinder assembly lh as shown in the illustration.

connect the no. 3 parking brake cable assembly to the rear disc brake cylinder assembly lh.

install the bolt.

torque : 6.0 nm (61 kgf-cm, 53 in-lbf)

engage the clamp to the no. 3 parking brake cable assembly.
install parking brake lever protector [ parking brake: parking brake cable (for rear disc brake): installation+ ]
fill reservoir with brake fluid [ brake system (other): brake fluid: replacement+ ]
bleed brake line [ brake system (other): brake fluid: replacement+ ]
inspect for brake fluid leak
inspect fluid level [ brake system (other): brake fluid: on-vehicle inspection+ ]
adjust parking brake lever travel [ parking brake: parking brake system: adjustment+ ]
inspect rear disc brake cylinder operation lever and stopper clearance [ parking brake: parking brake system: adjustment+ ]
install rear wheel
torque : 103 nm (1050 kgf-cm, 76 ft-lbf)

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
AFEEZBOLADALE
  • 2006 TOYOTA COROLLA
I discovered my brake grind in the rear ordinarily without pressing down the brake. My brakes are gone please help me change them out.
Wednesday, March 17th, 2021 AT 5:33 PM (Merged)
KASEKENNY1
Here is a guide that will help with this:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-rear-brake-shoes-and-drums

Below you will find the process from the manual that will give more detail on how to replace the rear brakes. Please let us know if there are questions. Thanks
JENIFER HOOD
  • 2006 TOYOTA COROLLA
I need to replace the brakes can you help me please?
ASEMASTER6371
Good afternoon,

I posted the procedure for you below along with a guide for the repair.

REAR DRUM BRAKE (TMC MADE)

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

COMPONENTS

OVERHAUL

HINT: Use the same procedures for the RH side and LH side. The procedures listed below are for the LH side.

1. REMOVE REAR WHEEL
2. DRAIN BRAKE FLUID

NOTICE: Wash brake fluid off immediately if it adheres to any painted surface.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

3. REMOVE REAR BRAKE DRUM SUB-ASSEMBLY
a. Put matchmarks on the rear brake drum sub-assembly and the axle hub.
b. Release the parking brake and remove the rear brake drum sub-assembly.

HINT: If the brake drum cannot be removed easily, do the following steps.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

c. Remove the hole plug and insert a screwdriver through the hole in the backing plate, and hold the automatic adjusting lever away from the adjuster.
d. Using another screwdriver, contract the brake shoe adjuster by turning the adjusting bolt.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

4. INSPECT BRAKE DRUM INSIDE DIAMETER
a. Using a brake drum gauge or equivalent, measure the inside diameter of the drum.
Standard inside diameter: 200.0 mm (7.874 inch)
Maximum inside diameter: 201.0 mm (7.913 inch)

HINT: If the inside diameter of the brake drum is at the maximum or more, replace the brake drum sub-assembly.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

5. SEPARATE PARKING BRAKE SHOE STRUT SET LH
a. Using SST, separate the spring and shoe strut set from the brake shoes.
SST 09703-30011

NOTICE: Be careful not to damage the cylinder dust boot.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

6. REMOVE FRONT BRAKE SHOE
a. Using SST, remove the cup, shoe hold-down spring and pin.
SST 09718-00010
b. Remove the front brake shoe and tension spring.
7. REMOVE PARKING BRAKE SHOE STRUT SET LH

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

8. REMOVE AUTOMATIC ADJUST LEVER LH
a. Remove the tension spring and the automatic adjust lever.

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

9. REMOVE REAR BRAKE SHOE
SST 09718-00010

imageOpen In New TabZoom/Print

b. Using needle-nose pliers, separate the parking brake cable No.3 and remove the rear brake shoe.
BUDBUNDY
  • 2006 TOYOTA COROLLA
Recently, I noticed a horrible grinding sound at low speeds, and now also a squeak. I discovered by pulling the LF wheel that a piece of metal called the "brake pad support plate" was making contact with the rotor (on the inside). I pushed the support plate from the outside with the tire iron until the inside and outside gaps were equal, and the noise went away. However, now it's back, how do lock this piece of metal in place to prevent it from shift?
MMPRINCE4000
Are you talking about a stamped steel plate that bolts to steering knuckle?
BUDBUNDY
It's a U-shaped thin piece of steel (maybe 3 inches wide and arms 1 inch long) that apparently snaps in place (?) And straddles the rotor on the top of the caliper. (There's also one on the bottom of the caliper, but that one's not causing me problems.) It looks like the ends of the pads sort of mate into the bends on both arms of the U of this "support plate".
MMPRINCE4000
Ok, I see it on Mitchell.

It is a Stainless steel part that the pads slide on, get a new one, they are in a front brake hardware kit, they snap into place and allow pads to slide in/out.

If bent, it will cause pads to slide unevenly.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/108325_disc_pad_support_1.jpg

+1
BUDBUNDY
There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with "support plate" other than that it won't stay in place. If I got a new one, I'm not sure it would stay in place any better. I guess I'm wondering what's supposed to keep it from moving, given that I can push it with my fingers which are much weaker than the brake caliper forces. (Granted the pads should be sliding inside the arms of the plate, not pushing on it, but if even a fraction of the force acted upon the plate, it seems to move.)
PINOY001
  • 2006 TOYOTA COROLLA
How do you replace the rear brake shoes?
MMPRINCE4000
There should be small tabs that hold it inplace.

Here is a video that shows how to do the job on a similar car ( same brake system) with diagrams and instructions below to show you how on your car.

https://youtu.be/1j7qDoi1LP0

-1
MIKEA58
  • 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA
I had a problem with my front brakes vibrating very bad.I changed the rotors and pads, which corrected the problem. Now 2 months later the vibration has returned and the front brakes are doing it again.
Wednesday, March 17th, 2021 AT 5:34 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Hi there, this is a problem we see often, new rotors needing a re face so soon, often thisre machining will sole the problem for some time as now the rotors are "seasoned" and they should not cause any problem whey re cut.

TONI_MARIE71
  • 2003 TOYOTA COROLLA
We are changing the brake shoes and were having a hard time getting them off. We finally discovered the ratchet pin and instead of loosening it, we tightened it clockwise and now the brakes are tighter on there. How do we loosen it so that we can get the drum off?

Thank you
Toni & James
MMPRINCE4000
Like Raz said, remove the rubber grommet and turn adjuster screw the opposite way.

There should be two threaded holes on the brake drum. Use long bolts to push drum off, after turning adjuster screw.
+1
TOYOTAGUY360
  • 2000 TOYOTA COROLLA
Hi, I recently went to my toyota dealership to have my corolla serviced and they said that the rear brakes were at 15%. 1) what exactly needs to be replaced (because I plan on going to a mechanic to have it done and I would like to purchase the parts online.). And also a rough estimation for labor hours it would take for it to be done.

Sponsored links