BODY CONTROL MODULE?

2001 Saturn L300

Saturnsucks

May, 4, 2013 AT 4:23 PM

Heat/Cold air doesn not blow out. Service wrench light, Service Engine Soon, ABS, and Air Bags flash on and off. Also, speedometer, fuel and temp guage erratic. I explained the signs to 3 mechanics. Clicking noise, ignition off. Diagnostics 2x. One said I needed an alternator ($578 for part/labor). The other a tune-up ($450 for Ignition coil/spark plugs and labor) due to misfires detected. Wasted hard earned money on their BS. Eventually, had a tune-up elsewhere at a much lower price. Problems above persist. The last mechanic, stated it could be car's BCM. If so, they don't deal with issue. Signs of BCM problem? What and Where should I go? Cost? I live in Phila, PA.

saturntech9

May, 4, 2013 AT 5:14 PM

The temp and gas gauge erratic sounds like a bad BCm really common on those cars. Do you have auto climate control?Also what are the exact code numbers you have not code descriptions?

Saturnsucks

May, 5, 2013 AT 7:25 AM

No auto climate control. My 2nd Diagnostics/trouble shooting pulled up P0300 Engine Misfire Detected and PO305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected - not much else.

saturntech9

May, 5, 2013 AT 4:59 PM

Are those the current codes after the major tune up or after?Has the ac charge and pressures been checked?

Saturnsucks

May, 5, 2013 AT 9:54 PM

Prior to tune - up, mechanic pulled codes from computer dx. Test. AC/Heat, blower resistor shot. The rest, not checked. Again, could it be BCM causing erratic changes (Service Lights/Erratic gauges)?

saturntech9

May, 5, 2013 AT 10:26 PM

As far as the temp gauge gas gauge erratic yes I have bad bcms do that also power door or keyless entry inop yes as well. Not being able to get out of park head lights coming have seen bad bcms do that as well. Does the blower fan work on all speeds? Does the ac clutch kick on when turning the ac on?

Saturnsucks

May, 6, 2013 AT 2:54 PM

I can get in out car without a problem. Signals work. The warning signals/guages erratic. My fan doesn't blow hard (resistor shot). My AC button doesn't light up anymore. Car sounds like crap (loud) when I pull off, then settles down. Where should I go to BCM problem? If I don't get the problem fixed right away, what will happen?

saturntech9

May, 6, 2013 AT 6:03 PM

Sounds like a bcm for the gauges etc bad bcms are comMon for those they don't cause the car to run bad though.A bad bcm can lead to a no start though.I would have it diagnosed for a bad bum and start there. Also get some current codes read from the computer.

Saturnsucks

May, 7, 2013 AT 2:54 AM

Should I take it to a dealership for service? It seems like the mechanics in the area don't have a clue when I explain the issues. What is the procedure to dx problem? Cost for dx and replacement?

saturntech9

May, 7, 2013 AT 8:40 PM

The bcm lists for 431.34 to put it in with programming figure 2hrs times shop labor rate for diagnosis figure at least 1hr times shop labor rate. The way I dignose bad ones is I have tester bcms for all the years from the ones I have replaced I labeled what they did and compare how they work compared to the one in the car.I would have the dealer do it.