POWER STEERING PUMP

2001 BMW 740

skew1234

July, 8, 2009 AT 10:48 AM

Steering problem
2001 BMW 740 V8 143000 miles

I have just recently purchased a 2001 BMW 740iL for a very good price but the only problem was it has a power steering fluid leak from either the inlet or outlet hose and the pump needs to be replaced. I can see everything pretty much and I have changed alternators and pumps on other types of vehicles but not BMW and I am trying to save money. What is the level of difficulty on performing this and and what is a good resource for performing this repair?

Dr Loot

July, 10, 2009 AT 11:10 PM

The only way to do that is to buy factory manual, the reason you cannot see anything, it is because you will have to pull radiator, to even look at the steering pump, and of course get on your back.

skew1234

July, 14, 2009 AT 9:31 AM

Thanks Dr. Loot,
I have already ordered the Bentley manual. I have another question for you though. To verify the cause is the pump I turned the car on and looked in the fuel reservoir for fluid movement and there was no movement. Does that mean it should be replaced?
I also have been unable to locate the point of the leak to veriy it is the hoses, is that because the pump isn't working properly? My ATf fluid has not changed.

Dr Loot

July, 14, 2009 AT 12:12 PM

You see no movement in the power steering reservoir that does not mean it's not working, the manual that you are ordering will give you a step by step procedure on how to diagnose your power steering problems, but if I were you I would remove the Belly pan, that is the cover underneath the engine and go to your local car wash be very careful and clean around the power steering pump and the hoses, to assist you in trying to find a leek. If you have any more questions during your operation don't hesitate to call on me.

Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer