1999 BMW 740 TIMING CHAIN

• lvsheridan
  • 1999 BMW 740

1999 BMW 740 V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

Apparently the timing chain guide(?) Has broken into pieces that have gone down into my oil pan and the only mechanic I have ssen to this point does not want to do the work due to the nature of the problem. Before I go looking for other mechanics what do you think the cost of these repairs would be. The engine still runs (I have not driven it since I found the problem) but the pieces get into the oil pan and make a noise, the mechanic did not think the pieces had gotten into the engine itself. Thank you

Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 3:11 PM

• Dr. Hagerty

Sorry I did not respond sooner. My opinion is that the car will be worth it to fix, and that is a lot of work and $$$. So it is up to you, is it worth several thousand dollars? Or is it time to buy new?

Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 AT 10:31 AM
  • Dr Loot

I believe the mechanic that you took your vehicle to lacks, experience and knowledge or the special tools required to do the job, if you are going hunting for a real mechanic make sure he is a Pro on BMWs!

Monday, September 27th, 2010 AT 11:19 PM