TIMING CHAIN

1999 BMW 740

lvsheridan

September, 16, 2010 AT 3:11 PM

1999 BMW 740 V8 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

Apparently the timing chain guide(?) Has broken into pieces that have gone down into my oil pan and the only mechanic I have ssen to this point does not want to do the work due to the nature of the problem. Before I go looking for other mechanics what do you think the cost of these repairs would be. The engine still runs (I have not driven it since I found the problem) but the pieces get into the oil pan and make a noise, the mechanic did not think the pieces had gotten into the engine itself. Thank you

Dr. Hagerty

September, 22, 2010 AT 10:31 AM

Sorry I did not respond sooner. My opinion is that the car will be worth it to fix, and that is a lot of work and $$$. So it is up to you, is it worth several thousand dollars? Or is it time to buy new?

Dr Loot

September, 27, 2010 AT 11:19 PM

I believe the mechanic that you took your vehicle to lacks, experience and knowledge or the special tools required to do the job, if you are going hunting for a real mechanic make sure he is a Pro on BMWs!

Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet