1994 BMW 740 ENGINE SHAKE?

• eSLeZ9MzTX
  • 1994 BMW 740

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1994 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 136000 miles

I have had this recurring issue for a while now. It's been intermittant. Seems to happen much more often before the engine is warmed up. Anyway, sometimes when I start it up, the car will shake a bit. Idle is smooth. If I pop the hood and take a look, I can see a block vibrating a little bit. What's going on?

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 1:06 AM

• Dr. Hagerty

Is the check engine light on? Has the PCV plate ever been changed? Have you had the faults read out if there are any? There are several possibilities that may be in play here. First, the state of tune the engine is in, fresh spark plugs, no leaky valve covers (oil gets in the spark plug wells) Second, the maintenance history, have you pampered the car or? Third, the intake manifold gaskets might require replacement (goes hand in hand with the PCV plate) as well as the valley pan. Could also be profile gaskets on the intake manifold or an intermittent coolant temp sender.

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 9:56 AM
  • eSLeZ9MzTX

CEL has never been on, in my 6 months (about 3-4000 miles) of my ownership. No idea about the PCV plate. Valve covers are seeping, I think. You can see stains below them etc. I haven't inspected my spark plugs. No history, however, when I got it, the cooling system was redone (new water pump, radiator). I've also had a new camshaft sensor installed and new motor mounts.

Although the CEL has never gone on, occasionally, on the dash, I get a check control warning. If I press for more info, it says something about the owners manual.

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 11:42 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

I would set an appointment to remedy these issues and repost with the results. Keep in touch.

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 12:05 PM
  • eSLeZ9MzTX

I've been delaying getting my ps pump replaced thus far, but I think i'ma get it taken care of now. But, before that, I think i'll do a tune up (replace spark plugs, fluids, oil/air/fuel filter(s), use electrical contact cleaner on my ignition coils, clear memory on ECU and clean my MAF.

Any other ideas?

Hopefully that'll help. If not, back to the shop!

Wednesday, July 2nd, 2008 AT 5:52 PM