TRANSMISSION SHIFTS ON REVERS AND PARK ONLY

1987 BMW 635

moejam

December, 21, 2008 AT 5:05 PM

1987 BMW 635 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 193 miles

hi there, im trying to find the problem with my transmission, it was driving normal I parked the car on my driveway for five minutes came back put the car on drive. Not moving, I try to put it on 3.2.1 the car not moving feels like it's on nutral only the revers gear response and when I put it on park. Could it be the shifter cable or something else. Thank you

Dr. Hagerty

December, 22, 2008 AT 3:51 PM

Start with checking the transmission fluid level, check it with the engine running.

moejam

December, 24, 2008 AT 3:20 PM

Hi there, I checked the transmission oil with the car running it looks fine, I also cheked the shifter cable linkage from the bottom of the car all the way to shifter handle. Still I can't get the gear into drive. Could it be the transmission computer or the diffrential. Thank you and happy holidays

Dr. Hagerty

December, 24, 2008 AT 7:40 PM

It could be a bad " A" pack in the transmission, it could be a hundred other things as well. It is a practical impossibility to say from cyberspace what it is for sure.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars