1987 BMW 635 TRANSMISSION SHIFTS ON REVERS AND PARK ONLY

• moejam
  • 1987 BMW 635

1987 BMW 635 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 193 miles

hi there, im trying to find the problem with my transmission, it was driving normal I parked the car on my driveway for five minutes came back put the car on drive. Not moving, I try to put it on 3.2.1 the car not moving feels like it's on nutral only the revers gear response and when I put it on park. Could it be the shifter cable or something else. Thank you

Sunday, December 21st, 2008 AT 5:05 PM

• Dr. Hagerty

Start with checking the transmission fluid level, check it with the engine running.

Monday, December 22nd, 2008 AT 3:51 PM
  • moejam

Hi there, I checked the transmission oil with the car running it looks fine, I also cheked the shifter cable linkage from the bottom of the car all the way to shifter handle. Still I can't get the gear into drive. Could it be the transmission computer or the diffrential. Thank you and happy holidays

Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 AT 3:20 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

It could be a bad "A" pack in the transmission, it could be a hundred other things as well. It is a practical impossibility to say from cyberspace what it is for sure.

Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 AT 7:40 PM